Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear tyres are trashed, inner shoulder worn right down and have a scalloped pattern..

From what I read this is commonly caused by worn bushes in one (or two?) or the rear suspension arms...

So, options as I see it: new OEM arm with new bushes, new OEM bush fitted to old arm (possible?), fit Powerlflex bushes in current arm, fit Powerflex bushes in new arm, aftermarket/copy arm, second hand?

Anyone got some thoughts/advice/experience here?

Also is it worth getting the new tyres fitted and having tracking/alignment checked at the rear (I understand not a lot can be done other than toe adjustments?), or just bite the bullet and get it all done together?

Cheers!

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
From experience ... Transverse arms.

You have 8 possible culprits si I replaced all four arms (EB Spares). I also put new poly hub bushes in while it was apart. The trailing arm bush isn't replacable ... This is the one from rear floor pan to hub carrier.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it, thanks!

So next question - how tricky is this job to do at home? Or could a garage do it super quick on a proper lift so its just worth laying a few hours labour?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HSS drill bit and just chew the old rubber bushes apart until they pop out?

Then squeeze the new polybushes back into the arm using my bench vice and a couple of wooden shims to protect the arm?

·
Registered
562 Posts
do you have pic of the tires? As far as I know, due to the factory alignment settings rear tires are suppose to wear a little bit more on the inside ...

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not at the moment...

Noticed it yesterday whilst parked up and walked away from the rear.. Inner shoulder was a notably different colour, and the tread was completely gone..

Still above the legal bars, but also scalloped and shaped like a 50p piece... Giving a nasty ride on the motorway..

Wanna make sure that if I stick new tyres on that I'm not going to trash them in a few thousand miles because the suspension is still ********ed!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the car lowered? If so what on springs or coilovers?
Nope, all standard suspension.. However there's no record in the service history of any of it having been changed so it might just be getting worn out.. 52k miles, 7 years.. Was 32.5k when I bought it in Oct so I've put 20k (almost all motorway) on in the last 6 months.. If anything's gonna find a weakness then that mileage will!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you have pic of the tires? As far as I know, due to the factory alignment settings rear tires are suppose to wear a little bit more on the inside ...
Snapped some pics of the tread on the rears today.

Drivers side (Pirelli PZero): https://i.imgur.com/WQ4bAW7.jpg

Passengers side (Pirelli PZero Rosso): https://i.imgur.com/AwkEi0G.jpg

About 5-6mm tread on the outside, 2-3mm on the inside!

I'm sure the unmatched pair don't help either (cheers previous owner :thumbs:)

After a bit of a chat with Loz at AL I'm gonna get both tyres replaced and have tracking/Alignment done first... Final solution will be Powerflexing (or superflex, your choice I guess!) the whole lot at the back, but might not be needed just yet!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Rear transverse arms are a consumable. 40k max. Ditto the hub bushes. Change both, then get it aligned and new tyres. Poly bush the hub bushes.

I've done this on the 156, and after 30k miles and really excessive roundabout fun, the rear tyres are fine. Transverse arms just redone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts