Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! I know this has been touched on millions of times but I can't seem to find a definitive answer!

I have a 166 twin spark on a 54 reg and it's running a little low on oil. Alfa workshop have two types of oil, 10w60 and 10w40. Halfords recommend 10w60 but never stock it. A few posts have stated its ok to use 10w40 but I thought I would just check with 166 owners on here to see what they thought?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I use a 5w/40 fully synthetic in my V6.

I don't have a brand loyalty, I have a theory that there are only a few factories producing the stuff & that a lot of it is the same but in different packages.

And now for the contentious statement - once the engine has done a high mileage, you can put what you like (of the correct SAE rating) in. Synthetic, semi, mineral, RECYCLED - just change in regularly. Then drive it like you stole it...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Cheapest fully synth that I've seen recently is at ASDA (Comma make it) for just £20 for a big container (4L?).

I'm not actually admitting to going inside an ASDA by the way (I'm more of a Fortnum & Mason's person)...

·
Registered
786 Posts
"Oil thread alert"

'Search' is the font of all knowledge!

However, your owners handbook will give you the answer..my only recommendation is stick with a good brand

Tapatalk from Galaxy S2

·
Registered
604 Posts
I use a 5w/40 fully synthetic in my V6.

I don't have a brand loyalty, I have a theory that there are only a few factories producing the stuff & that a lot of it is the same but in different packages.

And now for the contentious statement - once the engine has done a high mileage, you can put what you like (of the correct SAE rating) in. Synthetic, semi, mineral, RECYCLED - just change in regularly. Then drive it like you stole it...
I use 5w/40 as well, paid £30 for 6L (5L+1L) from Unipart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts