Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi to all

I have decided to buy an Alfa but i don't know which one will be best for me. Everyone i have asked just tells my they brake all the time. This has not deterred me, but i need to know what to look out for when buying one so that i don't end up with a car that's on bricks all of the time.

Here are two that I have found:
http://search.autotrader.co.za/www/cars_advert?id=201001186399402

http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c...-Alfa-Romeo-1600-GT-Junior-W0QQAdIdZ175777774

The price difference is quite big. Could this mean that the more expensive one is overpriced or that the cheaper one is in a bad condition? I have also seen a 1972 GTV for R45000.

What are the running costs for these models more or less? It will not be my primary vehicle. I will use it on weekend drives and the odd outing.

Do they really brake down all the time and are the parts near impossible to find?

I am really excited about the 70's Alfas. I just feel I need to know what I am doing before I jump in head first!

Thank you

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have previously owned a GT Junior (twin headlight, 115 series), and loved it.... Perhaps in part because it had the 2 litre GTV engine :)

Things to look out for (among others) are:
Rust - both sills, lower A-pillars, under rear boot seal, and behind the front wheel arch liners
Gearbox second gear synchro worn
Most Juniors should have the low back seats, and no centre console
Look under all the mats for more rust
Check the roof lining for water leakage
The dashboard will probably be cracked, but you can repair it pretty easily.

Head over to AlfaBB and you may get a more in depth review. It's generally the site for the older Alfa. Have a look at the work of "akitaman" from Seattle, it's amazing.

Parts can be expensive, but there are plenty of companies in the UK that can supply virtually anything on the car. For a car designed in the 60's they are an amazingly well engineered, and shouldn't give you too many problems.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The white one looks a bit tarted up to sell with its fancy seats, non original (and pretty ugly) wheels etc, but at 4900 sterling worth looking at, you wont get one here for that!
The red one at just about 6300 sterling looks more like it, obviously not perfect, but for that money should be decent. Whether it is indeed an immaculate unrestored car....well for a start the paint looks a bit too fresh, though it might just be the photo! Red fades terribly in the sun over the years, and you live in a sunny country!
Spares, especially mechanical, are easy nowadays - as long as there is no rust, and the interior is good and complete, everything else can be done by a competent DIY'er.
View both, put them up on a ramp and bring a friend who can assess the condition-it is worth paying a professional a hundred quid or so to look at it, if you yourself dont know how to check for rust etc (especially hidden rust)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Both cars look pretty good.
I would definitely replace the wheels on the white one. Perhaps with something like an Alfaholics 14" GTA replica, or 16" Superlite.
With the Juniors, they seemed to use up all the leftover parts they had at the time, but both of these have GTV seats, floor mounted pedals, single front headlights, all which are things from earlier cars than a typical '74. At that age, you would expect twin headlights, finned front grille, hanging pedals, and different bumpers. But with these Alfas, any combination is possible!

I think the actual value will be determined when/if you look under and around the cars. It pretty comes down to how much rust they have, as the mechanical bits are easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts