Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all

I have decided to buy an Alfa but i don't know which one will be best for me. Everyone i have asked just tells my they brake all the time. This has not deterred me, but i need to know what to look out for when buying one so that i don't end up with a car that's on bricks all of the time.

Here are two that I have found:
Alfa Romeo 1600 GT Junior - Johannesburg used car for sale - Gumtree Johannesburg Free Classifieds

Autotrader.co.za ? 1974 ALFA ROMEO GT from North West

The price difference is quite big. Could this mean that the more expensive one is overpriced or that the cheaper one is in a bad condition? I have also seen a 1972 GTV for R45000.

What are the running costs for these models more or less? It will not be my primary vehicle. I will use it on weekend drives and the odd outing.

Do they really brake down all the time and are the parts near impossible to find?

I am really excited about the 70's Alfas. I just feel I need to know what I am doing before I jump in head first!

Thank you

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
In my opinion, the later 1600s are not as nice, and I believe not as collectible. Get a 2.0l for the same price for a decent example and a lot more power. Also the 2.0 parts are interchangeable with more later models and a twinspark 2 litre conversion is literally a drop in and go job.
You can also get a 1750 for about +-R45K in good condition which has a much better interior than both the late 1600s and the 2litres.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Those cars are rip offs...
if you bring the white one down to around R30K, I'll say go for it...
Running costs are not THAT bad, you have to remember just one thing. The cars are old and the rubber parts are all going to pack up, soon. unless the guy has replaced all or most of them, stay away...
Don't just go for the first thing that looks nice, there are ALOT of things that needs to be check on the rubber front (as you can see, I've been burnt).
But to run them as daily drivers, as I do with mine, they pretty cheap. cheaper and MUCH more fun than any tazz or Golf for the same price..
:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
You've got the tips on what to look for from your post under classics. The next important step after acquisition is to find a decent Alfa mechanic - that is the biggest headache and money-burner. The cars are innocent - it's just that the guys who work on them know they can charge outrageous prices for working on your car. One mechanic here in the Western Cape charges R800 per hour last I checked for labour which just shows you how the scales are tipped in their favour. Join your local club and find out who the best mechanics are.
For these cars, check the bottom as well and the floors. Often the vent pipes perish and owners do not replace them, which means water could leak through and leave you with a rotten body. The body is extremely important as everything else is relatively easy to replace. Make sure that the four jacking points are fine and that there is no rust under the spare wheel in the boot. If there is any sign of rust here, you have a leaking car. I suppose taking a magnet with terry cloth under it couldn't hurt to make sure that your car has a metal rather than cement body. If there are after-market parts fitted make sure that the original parts are still available.

On the engine and gearbox side, make sure the gears shift easily when warm, that the compression is good and that the carb numbers match. Check that the rubber carb mounts are uncracked as a set will cost you about R2K for parts alone. Check that idle is at 900 or so rpm and completely smooth unless the engine has been modified.
If you're buying a 2litre, make sure that the diff has a v-casting as this is the limited slip version. Ask when the last gearbox, engine and diff oil change has been and which oils were used.
The owner should be able to tell you exactly when. If he or she can't, I would walk away.
Also check if the chassis and engine numbers match. If they do, the car is worth more but if they don't, it's not a train smash.
I would advise taking a look at Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums under the GT (1965 - 74) forum. Every answer I've wanted, I've always gotten from there. For an idea of what stock interiors should look like, google image is quite useful. Let us know what you plan on getting so that we can help you determine originality or not.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Don't be haaastig to buy these things...they pop up now and then...the good ones!

Pls don't buy it in any other color other than red, with many Alfa's you can get away with another color, but, with this one...red is the order of the day!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts