Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very close to deciding to finally buy one of them 2.2s. I've had all the news on the Mods from Mangos, which I would do regardless of the selected model. Thanks to you all for that.

But which model?

I really have 3 choices:

1) An S. This is the priciest, really looking at 18-19K for an 08 car with about 10K miles. No blue and me and no sky view. A sportier drive and lovely interior.However, I remember driving a std and an S back to back and didn't really notice the sexed up turn in etc. as I probably drive too slow. I did of course notcie the exhaust but I guess Mangos 4 would provied that anyway.

2) A new S alike. There's a few of these and they're top value. About 18.5 buys a new one. I assume that these are standard Breras bar the interior? Also no SV no bluetooth and no massive wheels and handling kit.

3) An SV, from 12k up really. HAs all the toys that the above don't but not the frau leather.

This is a big deicsion for me as I'll have to keep option 1 and 2 for some time and I usually change every year or so. I'll alos have to sell my beloved GTV v6 whcih I will make a collosal loss on but someone will be very happy.

Please help me decide on my 10th Alfa!

·
Registered
109 Posts
A Brera without the SV is missing half of what the car is about - it's effectively a GT so why not lean back a little and enjoy the view? :) I think that the S is trying a little to hard to look like something it isn't.

Also depends on where you live / how you drive. The roads round my way would turn 19" S wheels into threepenny bits and, apart from the firm ride, I wouldn't notice any handling differences or benefits in a traffic jam around London.

I would buy a two year old SV with all the required toys - plenty around now to ensure your choice of colour and trim. Hopefully any teething problems would have been sorted and you would have a year left on the warranty and quite a few bob in your pocket to buy any fancy wheels/exhausts/induction mods etc.

Good luck and enjoy the process - I've had my car for two years and I love it.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
I would h...h.h.....hesitate to buy a 2.2.

Make sure you can live with the "oh balls, I'm going to get t-boned" feeling every time you pull away, or make sure you get a map/mod done asap.

Or get a quick one :D

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
SV all the way. Has the devil in you noticed you can pick up a V6 for around £15/16K!!
The V6 sounds great, but it's not as quick as a moderately mapped 2.4. And it does about 16 to the gallon iirc :eek:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I'd get an SV with all the bits you want. You can always add prodrive (or better) suspension later, but I suspect in your case you won't feel the need to bother (I haven't bothered either, though I do quite like the idea of lowering about 15mm....)

Conversely, you can't retrofit Skyview or B&M to an 'S'. (You could get a parrot kit or Pioneer head unit (Pioneer a bit pricey), but the music will not come up in your infoscreen, only on your centre console head unit).

Note that some SVs DO have Frau leather - if spec'd by the original buyer ;)

·
Registered
19,792 Posts

·
Registered
19,792 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
SV makes more sense. "S" doesn't seem particularly well equipped - great on visuals but not equipment. Steer clear of 19" wheels as well, tyres are expensive.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SV all the way. Has the devil in you noticed you can pick up a V6 for around £15/16K!!
Yes I have. I'd love one but just couldn't live with the fuel bills as this will be our lone car, 18K a year. Even the 2.2 is a stretch.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Note that some SVs DO have Frau leather - if spec'd by the original buyer ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks CF, I am talking to someone about one of those rare ones this PM.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
I would h...h.h.....hesitate to buy a 2.2.

Make sure you can live with the "oh balls, I'm going to get t-boned" feeling every time you pull away, or make sure you get a map/mod done asap.

Or get a quick one :D
:lol::lol::lol:

True!

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
I'd have a loaded SV btw :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts