Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads,
With my impending relocation to Perth, WA, I'm now struggling to choose which variant to buy when I get there.

Having come from a 147 1.6TS manual background (which has served 120k km without a single hiccup!), I'm quite excited at the prospect of trying the selespeed. Question to you 159 owners is... how reliable are they!? I know the selespeed has improved dramatically over recent times, since the GT. But is it still prone to failures like the 156s?

I'm torn between choices - whether to go for the 159 2.2JTS Ti selespeed, or to try the 2.4JTD 6-speed auto. Checks on wiki showed that this aisin 6-speeder autobox is equally as fast as the manual :eek:

Bottom line is, I'm looking forward to getting my left foot some rest :p

Appreciate your feedback on this. Cheerios!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is Ti avaliable for 2.4JTD model? if not, go for 2.2JTS Ti selespeed. Only 2xxxkm on my 2.2 Ti Selespeed, so far so good!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Walfa, no, the TI is only for the 2.2 and 3.2V6 engines.

But the 2.4JTD does look a lot quicker on paper... and factor in the 'ease' of the 6-speed autobox, does look like a very promising buy.

Thanks for your feedback nevertheless! Appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Walfa, no, the TI is only for the 2.2 and 3.2V6 engines.

But the 2.4JTD does look a lot quicker on paper... and factor in the 'ease' of the 6-speed autobox, does look like a very promising buy.

Thanks for your feedback nevertheless! Appreciate it.
Mate I don't know who's been telling you that "story" but here on the east coast the 159 Ti is definitely available in the 2.4 JTD. I sat in a couple but they couldn't find me a manual so I went for the "normal" 2.4 JTD instead. Had it a week and I love it!

Here's a link to one on CarPoint if ya need proof :thumbs:

Used ALFA ROMEO 159 JTD Ti 2008 - New South Wales - CarPoint Australia

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Andy, cheers... my bad! I just had a quick look at the price list and you're right, there IS a 2.4JTD Ti retailing at AUD$62k.

COOL!!!

How's the autobox like mate? Do they also come with paddle shifters?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Buy the Selespeed and you'll regret it....it's still pants! If you want a good auto buy Mercedes. We all love Alfas on here but sometimes we have to decide with our heads and not hearts.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I test-drove the 2.4 auto. Ended up with the manual but the auto was still pretty good. Main preference for the manual (apart from cost) was that more control lets you keep the revs up in the range where the turbo is engaged. Starting from the lights with the auto gives a very noticeable turbo lag while you wait for something to happen. Then the afterburner kicks in and you take off like a cat with its tail on fire.

After a succession of four fairly undistinguished automatics, I'm enjoying driving a manual again.

A

·
0 Posts
my mate has a 159 ti selespeed and it rocks. :thumbs:
i now wish i owned the selespeed instead of manual.
its much improved and feels a lot better than the 156, 147 selespeeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Andy, cheers... my bad! I just had a quick look at the price list and you're right, there IS a 2.4JTD Ti retailing at AUD$62k.

COOL!!!

How's the autobox like mate? Do they also come with paddle shifters?
Didn't drive one mate as I'm not old enough to need to have the car choose my gears on my behalf! :lol: But from memory when I sat in the Auto 2.4 Ti it did have steering wheel shifters yeah.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts