Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...first post!!

I'm looking for advice re: the purchase of a 156 diesel (I've owned a 2.0 petrol for a couple of years and have found it a little thirsty so......which one? I'm not looking to pay more than 6k and preferably no more than 5! Is the 115bhp enough on the 1.9? Are there any disadvantages to the 2.4 apart from slightly poorer consumption?

Help required please as I am going internet mad!

Incidentally trying to lay your hands on a nice 147 JTD for around the same price has improved impossible (In on the morning, gone by the afternoon!....It also doesn't help when unscrupulous second hand car dealers realise they have the prospect of a dutch auction on their hands and let the car go to the highest bidder despite giving you first refusal!) Suppose I shouldn't expect anything less. same old same old....

Greg

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Get the 156 2.4 10v for around that money. Later ones had 140bhp. :)
They can be mapped to ~180-190 bhp... :D
Welcome to AO BTW. :)

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Welcome to AO.

I've a 2.4 20V JTDm which is a wonderful piece of kit. I'm not sure there's that much difference in fuel consumption between the 1.9 and 2.4 because you can just piddle about in the 2.4 and get heaps of performance - you've got to work the 1.9 that bit harder.

I suppose that the 1.9 might be better than the 2.4 10v though.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello and Welcome !! :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
A late 150 bhp remapped 2.4 10v would be the best buy for that sort of money....the 1.9 Mjets are very very good but have a narrower power band than any of the 2.4's so you do have to play with the gearstick more.

Lee

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi and welcome...

Current owner of a 2.4 10v and previously a 2.4 20v. i would say the 10v is the more "sensible" buy. It is a bit down on power compared to the 20v (nothing a re-map won't sort) but it's a far more driveable car. Consumption wise the 1.9's have the edge but a 2.4 can still deliver close to 50mpg average, mosre than the 2.0 TS anyway, and more if you do a lot of long runs. Mines currently averaging about the 50mpg mark, but i don't drive it hard and do a lot of medium length runs, 20-30 miles combined with a few short 1-2 mile runs up the town. Driving it hard makes the average drop to about 43-45 mpg but i'm due a cambelt change soon (monday) so don't wanna thrash it too much before thats done :)

i paid "a bit" over 6k for mine but it's very well specced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the answers so far guys.

You seem to be edging me towards a 2.4 and, having driven one, I

can see why. Got a couple to look at this weekend so the search

goes on.

Thanks again

·
Registered
558 Posts
had a 2.0TS and now have a 2.4 10v 140BHP as do lots of miles now.
The extra torque of the diesel is nice but I still missing being able to rev to 7000rpm and is about a second slower to sixty.
Got 35mpg from petrol and get 45mpg from the diesel, both during mostly 70mph motorway driving

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello and Welcome Gregwood :)

My 2.4 jtd has generally averaged 40mpg but I haven't been really serious about accurately recording it. My commute to work is only 11 miles each way and does really get the engine throughly warm and so on that basis probably wasn't the best engine size to go for.

I bought the Sportwagon for the long drives visiting our son and the aged 'P's where over the next three weeks the 2.4 will come into it's own - I shall be clocking up nearly 2000 miles with tripes to Stowmarket, St Andrews (again) then down to Liskeard and I plan to drive a little more sensibly and see how many miles per gallon she will actually do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Driven both, the 2.4 is more enjoyable and emits a much better sound (but both have an unpleasant vibration at idle though). It should be noted that handling of the diesel is not that clever compared with the petrol variant. Consider a 2.0 petrol JTS (165 bhp): I used to do 35 mpg despite regular meetings between the rev counter needle and the7000 rpm mark!

A

·
0 Posts
Hello all...first post!!

I'm looking for advice re: the purchase of a 156 diesel (I've owned a 2.0 petrol for a couple of years and have found it a little thirsty so......which one? I'm not looking to pay more than 6k and preferably no more than 5! Is the 115bhp enough on the 1.9? Are there any disadvantages to the 2.4 apart from slightly poorer consumption?

Help required please as I am going internet mad!

Incidentally trying to lay your hands on a nice 147 JTD for around the same price has improved impossible (In on the morning, gone by the afternoon!....It also doesn't help when unscrupulous second hand car dealers realise they have the prospect of a dutch auction on their hands and let the car go to the highest bidder despite giving you first refusal!) Suppose I shouldn't expect anything less. same old same old....

Greg
Hi Greg.

If you are prepared to travel there is a LOVELY 147 JTD (maybe a 16v) for sale just down the road from me from a private seller. Its Alfa Red 3dr 17 inch sports and looks in great condition.
Its been for sale for some time so I reakon there could be negotiatons to be had. Not sure on price and mileage though.

BTW - the 115bhp is still a hoot to drive imo if a little more rougher.

A

·
0 Posts
I think its an 04 (pre facelift). If you are seriously interested I can enquire for you on the way home from work tomorrow and give you the chaps phone number. She does look very :cool: sitting there (with no owner:( ).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Alfa 147 JTD 16v

That's a very kind offer. If that's no trouble I'd appreciate it.

It is a long way down there but if the deal is right then worth it!

Thanks again

1 - 20 of 36 Posts