Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice from our recently departed 166 guru. (Departed to 159 forum :( )

My 166 was fitted with new clutch and flywheel some 8k ago at the start of the summer. When i got it back things were much improved with a lighter pedal and easier to find gear changes.
Strangely though the self-centering had gone on the gear stick movement. Gradually the action has stiffened up and at times first and reverse are almost impossible to engage particularly in traffic when car is warm. I believe it's a cable that's seized causing the loss of centering across the gate (should this have be changed on a car with 150k miles whilst doing the clutch?). I would like to check on Ken's pedalbox mod if only i could find it! Been searching for quite a while but my IT skills are limited i'm afraid. Can someone point me to to the old thread please :p
I'd like to get gearchange sorted once and for all as it's the only real thing in the way of preventing me from enjoying my 166. Best to get all work done in one go if i can.

Any advice would be welcome.

·
Vendor
45,831 Posts
Probably just needs a fivers worth of top hat bushes and an hour or so of stripping, removing corrosion & re-assembling of the selector mechanism on top of the box.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably just needs a fivers worth of top hat bushes and an hour or so of stripping, removing corrosion & re-assembling of the selector mechanism on top of the box.
Thanks Pud. I plan to take it back tomorrow to garage who did clutch and see what they can do. So few 166's here in N I that i like to try and do my homework beforehand.

Hami

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Here's the post on the clutch pedal bush thingy - http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/213146-clutch-pedal-pedantry.html

Pud's suggestion sound about right to me.

I had similar non self centering issues on Son of Ken's Alfa 147 and the problem was cured by lubricating the linkage at the engine end of the cables. This sits above the steering rack on the 147.

I've never done this on the 166 but the design is similar.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick response everyone. I will print out Ken's mod and see what my man says tomorrow.

Thanks, Hami

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Hi Ken,

Its the plastic bushed the go from the gear shift cable to the gearbox leavers - mine have gone stiff, tried to clean it and grease it - i think they are worn now and need replacing.....any ideas?

·
Vendor
45,831 Posts
We keep them in stock, they can definitely be bought from dealers but maybe they sell them in packs of 5 or 10 like they do nuts & bolts. We get big packets of them delivered every now and then. If you're struggling to get hold of some then call tomorrow on 01582 869 560 and speak to James.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts