Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Where would I buy new stock wiring loom for boot lid?

365 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  casesensitive
Hi all,

I've had 7 years of relatively trouble-free 159 driving and still in love with it.
However, with an NCT date that took 6 months to secure looming, I got a warning light each for number plate light and rear brake light on a long trip down to Cork.
No problem, stopped in a few places in the dead of night to find the right bulbs, but nothing doing.
Switching the good side light clusters / bulbs to the bad confirmed it was electrical, not consumable.
Back in Dublin I checked all the fuses, nothing, so we're down to wiring.
Stripped the boot area of all trim hunting down wires, in the case of the rear right brake light it turned out to one of many crushed wires in the bootlid loom. And its possible that the whole part was replaced in the past, because it still had its spare part sticker, in Italian on it.
The part number is 00505122020.
I've emailed AlfaPartsShop and John Linnane Motors in Rathnew in the hope they might help me locate a wiring loom, but the lack of search results beyond ebay doesn't give me much hope.
For now I've simply run an additional wire along the same route and spliced into the loom, but that's not the kind of repair the old girl deserves really, and there are definitely other wires in that loom that will suffer the same fate.
The number plate light fix was an even worse bodge, fixing that properly is a bumper-off job by the looks. I hope the NCT man will simply forgive it, I took the good +12v from the left hand bulb and ran it to the duff +12v for the right hand one. Didn't convince the CANBUS though, screen still says 'Check Number Plate Light'.

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Finger Font Thumb Automotive tire Handwriting

Very naughty splice for the number plate lights, I promise the car I'll do right by it soon.
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car Automotive tail & brake light

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5,148 Posts
My gut feeling is you will struggle to obtain a new one of them especially quickly, I would be tempted to invest in some rolls of appropriate gauge and colour wire and make one up. Crimp/solder and heat shrink near plugs then wrap it in loom tape.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have done a bit of wiring on my kit car, and have 30m each of 8 colours in 11a wire, but it took me a long time, and that was mostly with simple EconoSeal interconnectors and readily-available Ford connectors, and that was before I had kids, I just don't have time to spend the 10-15 hours it'd take me to build that, even if I could get the connectors, which doesn't seem certain.
I'm not sure a salvaged part would actually be any use either, it's likely to be crushed in just the same way. Might be an idea to see if I could buy a used one, carefully recover the connectors, buy new pins and 'remanufacture' a newsed one while I tip along with my bodged one.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wire is cheap, and I have a few crimp tools, but the connectors, if I could source them, would likely at least €4-10 each. I've had to redo the coil plug on my Rocket a couple of times, and that one is €9. I found some Fiat ones in that sort of range, they're €4-10 so far, but tracking down the precise connector matches will be tough.
Having done a full wiring harness for the Rocket twice now, I know how long it took me, not to say someone with fewer toddlers and more contiguous hours free couldn't get it done faster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts