Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have had my 156 2.4 jtd for about a year now and am starting to think about tweaking the beast!

I was wondering what advice you could give me? Where would be the best place to start? and do things like air intakes/exhaust upgrades make much of a difference to diesel engines? Obviously a new chip would give the most results, but what else can I do?

Point me in the right direction people...!

Cheers
K

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would start with induction. The factory induction makes the turbo work much harder then needed. Make it as short as possible.

Re-map is certainly the most effective single modification, but should be done as last modification matched to the mods. Best done on a RR.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks chaps... appreciate the advice. Any tips on specific induction kits? Quite fancy a twin exhaust system, seem to be a few of those to choose from.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
what sort of driving do you do? is it start-stops where you may want better acceleration, or is it in the twisties where you may want better handling, or up/down mountains where you may want better brakes?

i prefer to focus on handling, especially if you plan to hike the power up. so i'd start with better suspension, either in the form of new dampers, or new springs+dampers, or coilovers. then i'd focus on brakes, at least with better pads.

then i'd be doing the engine/intake/exhaust mods.

of course, it depends on your overall budget, and what you're wanting to achieve from it all. in the end, you don't want to overcapitalise to the extent that you could have bought a GTA in the first place!

:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what sort of driving do you do? is it start-stops where you may want better acceleration, or is it in the twisties where you may want better handling, or up/down mountains where you may want better brakes?

i prefer to focus on handling, especially if you plan to hike the power up. so i'd start with better suspension, either in the form of new dampers, or new springs+dampers, or coilovers. then i'd focus on brakes, at least with better pads.

then i'd be doing the engine/intake/exhaust mods.

of course, it depends on your overall budget, and what you're wanting to achieve from it all. in the end, you don't want to overcapitalise to the extent that you could have bought a GTA in the first place!

:)

GTA would have been nice... however I bought the Jtd as I used to commute on a daily basis, and the amount I would have been paying out on fuel would have been a killer!!

It's more an increase in acceleration I am look for... I plan on upgrading the brakes at the same time as I make my first engine mods. Dampers may follow at a later date (alot may depend on how much my annual bonus is going to be this year... could mean the difference betweek having the engine re-mapped, new exhaust, induction kit... or a set of go faster stripes!:D )

·
Registered
17 Posts
GTA would have been nice... however I bought the Jtd as I used to commute on a daily basis, and the amount I would have been paying out on fuel would have been a killer!!

It's more an increase in acceleration I am look for... I plan on upgrading the brakes at the same time as I make my first engine mods. Dampers may follow at a later date (alot may depend on how much my annual bonus is going to be this year... could mean the difference betweek having the engine re-mapped, new exhaust, induction kit... or a set of go faster stripes!:D )
Once I saw the 156 V6 with throttle bodies (weber) and the sound it gave to the engine (obviously the 10% more power) was amazing.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Go to RED DOT tuning for a remap as they have a rolling road/dyno, so you can see what its running now and then when finished.
They use the rolling road whilst mapping and tweak it many times.
Each engine performs differently in each car, only th edyno will show this.

Adjustable KONI's are essential to get the thing round corners, and firmed up (rear half a turn firmer than the front) you will be sliding round controlling the back and front sliding on the throttle - yes the back does slide!

Brakes, good discs and fast road/track pads. EBC yellowstuff are great and withstand very high temps, but they are noisy.

Water/Meth injection? Water for cooling (not sure if this gives any noticable power increase, although some say it does on a deisel), methanol for the 106 octane & extra power.

Front Mount intercooler will allow you to find an extra 500 revs worth pulling top end. Also means you can straight pipe the intake to where the old intercooler was, good cold air supply and stick a cone filter on. Don't waste your monet on CDA thingy as you will have shed loads of cold air there anyway.

Exhaust - don't know - should think so - I would like some advice on that myself!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts