Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen the same question loads of times on here - where should you put the jack and axle stands when jacking up a 156?

For me, it would be nice to have a big picture somewhere showing safe places to put them. I came across Chris155's awesome photo of the bottom of a 156 (here), and would love to have this annotated with things like where to jack and put stands, etc.

If I had a clue where these places were, I'd do it, but sadly I haven't :(

Would any of you kind experts out there be willing to do this? I think it'd be really handy for the less knowledgable among us who want to do some basic maintenance (e.g. oil changes) without accidentally punching a hole through the bottom of their car...

... Oh, and another quick question ... no one ever mentions using a pair of ramps instead, any reason?

·
Administrator
87,188 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not being funny but why not use the jacking points as describe in the manual :confused:
Hehe, OK, jacking isn't really the issue but I have seen it asked many times. It's positioning the axle stands that is really the thing.

I guess when you know what you're doing it seems silly, but the cost of getting it wrong means a bit of healthy paranoia doesn't seem like a bad idea!

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
Hope these help.

Obviously, avoid areas such as the floor, spare wheel-well, fuel tank, sump, gearbox etc, marked by the large red crosses in the photos. At the rear, also avoid at all cost the 4 track control arms (marked by the small red crosses) as they will bend if you put anything under them and you'll end up with the rear wheels pointing in a direction other than straight. :rolleyes: I speak from experience here, as a tyre fitter managed to put his jack there briefly, bent one of the arms ever so slightly, realised what he had done and repositioned the jack, but ever so thoughtfully 'forgot' to mention it to me. :mad: At a glance, the tow-out that the nearside rear wheel now had was not obvious, but as I accelerated up the road the steering from the rear, supermarket trolley handling certainly was. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I used to put my stands in any of the positions marked by the green circles. In addition, if you have a suitable sized piece of wood (mine was about 18" long x 9" wide x 1" thick), you can place it under the rear central suspension casting (marked with the green [-----] ) so as to spread the load over the whole casting and then insert either a trolley jack under the wood so as to raise the whole rear of the car at once, or support the whole rear with stands (at least 2 in this area), if you need to keep access around the wheels clear for a particular job

You can also of course put them at the normal jacking points (yellow arrows). :D

Of course, these are just my personal choices and others may choose to disagree for whatever reasons but no-matter what you choose to do, remember that safety is paramount

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's fantastic! Thanks mate :)

Like I said, it might seem silly to people who know exactly where a car's structure can support it's own weight, but to those of us that don't, it's really really helpful to actually see it like that.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
If you are DIY'ing with a decent trolley jack, a lifting beam with adjustable pads is a worthwhile bit of kit to have?:):

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Hope these help.

..... if you have a suitable sized piece of wood (mine was about 18" long x 9" wide x 1" thick), you can place it under the rear central suspension casting (marked with the green [-----] ) so as to spread the load over the whole casting and then insert either a trolley jack under the wood so as to raise the whole rear of the car at once, or support the whole rear with stands (at least 2 in this area),.......
don;t let Chris155 read this, he'll blow a fuse.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Not being funny but why not use the jacking points as describe in the manual :confused:
the jack goes on the jacking points and raises the car , axle stand goes in to a different postion , then lower the car onto stand .

it is a very valid question that is being asked . it depends on what kind of jack you use ie trolley jack or jack that comes with the car .

·
Registered
306 Posts
Can I just ask something?
In Chris155's pics is the location that the 4-poster is supporting the car OK for the 4-poster obviously? I notice that it isn't under the jacking points

C

·
0 Posts
It's crushed the jacking points, you'll never get the wheel jack on there now.
Actually, it hasn't.... I used foam pads under the lift but the sills were fundamentally crushed when I bought the car 2 years ago.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Bad news there, I hate seeing dented floor pans and the like. That's one reason I despise seeing trolley jacks wheeled out at tyre fitting bays.:(:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts