Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to source samples of Blue paint for a late 68 built 1750 Mk1, first registered Jan '69.

I brought a hinge (was doing the bushes) in to our local supplier in Dublin who wasn't able to reference any of the names I gave him. I got a blue but that's as close as it got to the hinge. (To be fair, a hinge is not a big flat panel). There' s no colour code in the boot.

Option 1 is complain but not sure if that will succeed in getting the right colour.

Option 2 is get a small sample of each dark blue colour from a UK supplier based upon colour name / year and compare them and then get same UK supplier to make up rattle cans and bottles.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
73 Posts
If there is sound paint on the car it can be matched using a spectrometer, most big bodyshops will have one, or via a paint company they will have access to one. A small patch will need to be polished, then normally 3 readings are taken and it will produce a match and possibly a code and colour name

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Philfromdevon.

Do you know of any suppliers that can help? I can't get ut scanned as I'm in Ireland.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
It will be easier if you can get the code then any supplier should be able to mix the colour.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Way better to be done using a spectrometer - not sure that's the right word for the machine, but near enough.
. It's all right giving them the code, but I would guess 90% of the time it's not absolutely spot-on. Think of all the variables that are likely to have been thrown in before, (was it mixed right the last time it was painted etc), unless you're sure that the paint on the car (or somewhere on the car) is original. But then you have fading over 40+ years to contend with, different chemicals / solvents used now, it's a lottery. Whilst spectrometer isn't going to be 100% (weights of the constituents to make up the colour need to be perfect), it's going to give a better result ,

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
100% correct GTA R

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have the code.
I don't have a supplier with a spectrometer. The BIGGEST in the country told me they couldn't scan the car.
They also told me they had no codes going back that far.

So is there a UK supplier who can give me a small sample of the 3 possible dark blues so I can confirm.

I know everyone is trying to help and it is appreciated.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hard to believe that there isn't a paint supplier in Ireland with a spectrometer. My painter (now retired), bought his back in 2006. It's been "de rigeur" in England for the last 15 years or more. However, looking at the codes for dark blue around that year, it's probably going to be :-
Blue - AR 323 ? sometimes AR 363
Blue Hollandaise (olandese, or Dutch Blue) AR 343, (Ditzler / PPG Code 13939, or Dupont 8738)
Blue Posillipo AR355
These are the only dark bues that were available ex factory around that time.

See this link that will help :- https://victorparts.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf_files/colorcodes_pdf/AlfaCampionarioColori.pdf
My bet would be Blue Olandese, lots of 105's around late 60's in that blue.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Blue Olandese is my personal favourite. You can buy dealer paint brochures off ebay, and they have a tiny panel of each of the colours. I have one from 1975, and the blue metallic swatch matches fairly well with the original paint under the bonnet insulation of my car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So. I am still trying to source Blue paint samples for my 1750 GTV Mk1. Where could I buy about 5ml of each of the dark blues from that time please?

So I went back to Vinny Byrnes today. They scanned the car roof. Kept wittering on about how it was only "a bracket" they had last time. Then they arrived out to me with a VW swatch from the 2000s saying this is what their machine told them was the "best" match. It was exactly the same as previous and way off. Now I know why they made such a bad job of it last time, it was because they don't match and just make a modern colour that the machine tells them is close. To quote "they don't have databases that far back" "modern paints are different" "they only get a recommendation of what is a match, not what to mix" "you have to use your eye to get the colour" I'm stupid you see, I've only 30 years of engineering design experience including time in printing working with matching of Pantone colours. Or so the attitude was to me. very very friendly but condescending.

So. Whats my next option? Can somebody recommend a place I could get samples of the dark blues from that time please? I've used Spectrometers many many times in my job and thanks for reminding me but please don't suggest that again. I need a contact. Even Belfast would work. T

·
Registered
73 Posts
normally whichever paint company a bodyshop use will have a spectro, this is the actual paint company ie. Sikkens, Standox , Glasurit etc. Each paint company will have a tech support guy that would come and do the job. Failing that bodyshops have in the past sent a small piece like a fuel flap to said paint company to be matched in a lab

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Phil, Maybe I'll try and track down Paint manufacturers. It's so frustrating as I'm waiting to get the door back together. Drove across Dublin with no window in the rain today.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's an idea okay. When the dark clouds have passed I'll take a photo. 👍

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Final Story is I was due to go to Northern Ireland so rang a Motor Factors, gave him the 323 and 343 codes. He made 250ml of each for me to try. The 343 matches perfect, no hassle giving the code and getting it made up for the next day. I now know what I'll be getting and where I'll be going in future for my paint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts