Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like one of these for all the motorway driving I do...my bonnet is getting flipping demolished from stone chips.
Anyone any ideas where I can get one?
Here's a pic of a FIAT sporting one...

Attachments

N

·
0 Posts
Bwahahahahahahahahha! :lol:

They look awful. :(

Yanks love those. :thumbs:

I don't get 'em: "Preserve" the look of your car by driving around and looking
a tool while you own it, but having it in slightly better shape for someone
else when you sell it.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't understand Nev.
I don't want one for the look.
I want one for when I'm blasting up and down the A1/M1.
My bonnet is getting too many stone chips (which I'm gonna take up with Befield on the next service)
I would take it off for local driving as I too think they look hideous. (I also do a lot of local driving too)

·
Registered
22,305 Posts
Bwahahahahahahahahha! :lol:

They look awful. :(

Yanks love those. :thumbs:

I don't get 'em: "Preserve" the look of your car by driving around and looking
a tool while you own it, but having it in slightly better shape for someone
else when you sell it.

:confused: :confused: :confused:
I agree with Nev :thumbs:
I really don't see the point of them:tut:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The ones with the little protuberances are particularly bad.

What are they for, to deflect stones away from the windscreen?
Fook knows......but that looks awful. I'd only want one for the bonnet.
Kinda sacrilege covering up my Bella's paint, but I'm hating the sand blast sound effect when I'm behind lorries and the like.
It breaks my heart cause I look after my paint so well :cry:.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes, the red paint is the softest, for sure. However, it really may be worth persuing the dealer route if it is looking really peppered. Alfa have admitted that a specific run of red cars do actually have substandard paint, and some cars have had partial resprays under warranty. I think it's something about the original factory paintwork not getting the correct baking time (too long or too short, can't remember), rendering it even more likely to chip.

I was unfortunate enough to hit a deer down a country lane in the dark when the bloody thing darted through a gap in the hedge just when I was bowling along. As a result the front end of my car has been repainted by an indy. Don't want to speak too soon and jinx myself, but up to now this new paint has held up much better, with only about half the number of chips of the original red paint.

but no, I don't know where you can get them big bras, sorry.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I guess this is "gimp my ride"? :cheese:

Sorry, no idea where you'd get such a thing. Clear protective sounds much better. You'd wreck the paint just taking the bra off and on each time you were going long distance to local. Car would have to be immaculately clean not to scratch it to buggery.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I guess this is "gimp my ride"? :cheese:

Sorry, no idea where you'd get such a thing. Clear protective sounds much better. You'd wreck the paint just taking the bra off and on each time you were going long distance to local. Car would have to be immaculately clean not to scratch it to buggery.
:thumbs:

Bonet bras trap grit and flap about resulting in swirly paint, I wouldn't reccomended getting one.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
I was just about to go looking for this product so thanks for posting this link, Hunter. The bonnet on my 159 has had so many chips touched-up that it looks like it has some terrible tropical disease, :rolleyes:. When it was in the bodyshop a few weeks back having the offside panels repaired after careless neighbour #1, I enquired as to how much it would cost to have the bonnet resprayed - an eye-watering £533, :eek:.

However, careless neighbour #2 has done me a favour as the bonnet is one of the panels that is now having to be replaced so I thought I might spend the 'respray' budget on chip protection as it's 'only' £485 for the bonnet, bumper, leading edges of the wings and the door mirrors. Only downside is that it will need to be off the road for another 2 days to have the film applied but well worth the sacrifice in the long run methinks, :thumbs:.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bras are sad sad sad! its just the down side of ownership...deal with it and enjoy the look of that great front end...while it lasts then get a new one!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
However, careless neighbour #2 has done me a favour as the bonnet is one of the panels that is now having to be replaced so I thought I might spend the 'respray' budget on chip protection as it's 'only' £485 for the bonnet, bumper, leading edges of the wings and the door mirrors. Only downside is that it will need to be off the road for another 2 days to have the film applied but well worth the sacrifice in the long run methinks, :thumbs:.
Get it done!! I've had protector film on my Brera for 2 years, it works really well. Only picked up one "chip" since then, at *ahem* very high motorway speed, very loud impact, and actually it's not really a chip, the paint is all still there, no undercoat showing, but if you inspect very closely you can see the blue paint has been compressed ever so slightly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts