Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the recent heavy rain and having been driving through some puddles that are more like small lakes than puddles I have decided that knowing where the air is sucked in would be advantageous.

I have looked at eper, the repair manual PDFs and also done a search with little joy, but I do realize that sucking water into the engine would do far more damage than a failed timing belt,

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Andy is spot on, if you look at the front bumper you will see two vents with black fins one vent on either side at the top of the bumper, on the passenger side or N/S as its officially known the actual inlet is just behind this vent. As a further note i would be most concerned with the fan resistors and most specifically the lower one as this sits right near the bottom of the radiator and usually goes pop in any puddle above a few cm deep.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Does anyone know why they have such a convoluted arrangement ?

As an aside I was pleased to note that the wifes Qashqai has the intake right up high near the bonnet catch when I checked for flood purposes other day - first time I popped the bonnet in nine months of ownership...:eek:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Space restrictions and making sure it does suffer with :-

Water ingress and flooding
Heat soak from the engine
Where there is actual space to fit it

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I managed to find it just as CGTVs described & pictured.

IMG_0875_85.jpg

Not too low. Nice to know where it is.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When the early Renault Espace diesels started wrecking engines due to water ingress from the low intake, the dealer mod was to drill a small hole in the inlet pipe at a high point. If you do this to your car, make sure it is upstream of any sensors !!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Early Renault Espace diesels were controled by the throttle pedal adjusting the amount of fuel injected. There was not a restriction in the air duct so a hole would not have any effect.
The joints in the air duct at the base of the filter are not air tight, but the rate of flow is high enough to carry the water through into the engine and wreck it.
The convoluted sections are to tune the torque characteristics and the acoustics of the inlet system.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
That may not seem low but the "bow wave" immediately in front of a car going through a large puddle or small lake will easily reach this height and from the drivers seat you won't know that until the bow wave pops over the bonnet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts