Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I need to replace the crankshaft position sensor (crank not cam) on my 2005 156 2.0 JTS but I can't find where it is located. Any answers would be very much appreciated. Also, do you know if this is something I reach to change myself from the top of the engine under the bonnet/hood? Many thanks, Tony.

· Registered
4,816 Posts
It is below the starter motor. It is located next to the flywheel. The sensor uses a reluctor ring on the crankshaft to provide a signal. Because that is inside the crankcase, there is a sealing ring on the sensor. When the sensor is removed, often the old ring stays in and when the new sensor is fitted with its sealing ring, the 2 sealing rings stop the new sensor working.

It can be changed from on top or underneath. From the top, the battery, battery tray and throttle body can be removed fairly easily for access. Induction trunking needs Clic R pliers to refit and aid removal.
From underneath, the exhaust and right hand drives driveshaft get in the way a bit but again, it is possible.

See picture for location. It is the orange and black part above the driveshaft on the left side.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

· Registered
30,560 Posts
I did mine (2.0TS) from above with the throttle body removed.
I couldn’t get my arm in from under the car just on axle stands.

· Registered
9,816 Posts
Did mine once when I was in a rush from above without removing the throttle body, but I did get a few scratches on my arm ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts