Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In response to the 'Go To Dealer' engine fault warning light, I bought a ELM327 - USB cable, plus FIATECUScan software, which diagnosed a single fault (P0100) as the airflow meter giving a very low signal, and made suggestions for fixing the problem. Trouble is, I don't know where the airflow meter is or what it looks like :eek: let alone whether I am capable of applying the fixes suggested by the software.:eek:

Here's what the software said (direct quote) I hope it will make sense to some of you guys:

"P0100 - Air Flow Meter Signal Low Fatal Light ON

Anomoly on the inlet air mass signal. Check the following:
-Sensor power supply (12 volt from the main relay) between pin 1 (+) and 3 (-) of the sensor connector
-Signal emitted by the sensor, proportional to the airflow of the engine, between pin 4 (signal) and 2 (signal ground) by means of a multimeter or oscilloscope
-Continuity and insulation between pins 2 and 4 of the sensor connector respectively, to the ECU wires bundle connector to pins 26 and 7
The reason for this fault is that the ECU has received very low signal from the sensor. The fault is present now. Take appropriate action to fix this sensor fault. Dashboard light was activated for this fault."

If I read this correctly, it seems to be saying not that the sensor needs replacing but that (probably?) dirty/oxidised contacts would respond to cleaning?:confused:
Have I got that right? Is it a cheap home fix with a can of switch cleaner?

Any helpful thoughts much appreciated in advance.:)

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Check this:

156 TS engine

From Gazza's site :thumbs:

You can attempt a clean up, but MAF is probably on its way out anyhoo...

L

·
0 Posts
if its a TS engine then its between the battery & the engine, unless its a JTS/JTD or V6, then its on top of the air-box.

D

·
0 Posts
You may already be aware but if the MAF needs replacing best stick with a Bosch one

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Bosch MAF is hoooowww much?????

£133 for Bosch versus the Marelli one at £52 - gulp.:eek:

You saying this Marelli job will not line up OK with the default ECU settings?
It seems that Webcon would disagree...

http://www.webcon.co.uk/Downloads/Webcon Marelli MAF 2007.pdf

(But then they would say that wouldn't they?)

This is definitely gonna be a after-Christmas job.

Thanks for input.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I know a coupla guys using the Marelli ones with no issues, an alternative is to buy the sensor only, vauxhalls use the same Bosch sensor...

D

·
0 Posts
Cf3 maf shouldnt be anythin like that. Mate just got his from eurocarparts fr 80 or so delivered. Use their winter 25 discount code

·
Registered
9,207 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, 80-odd squids for the Bosch...

Thanks guys,

As eurocarparts store is only 5 miles from me at £82.80 after 25% 'winter discount'. Could pick up Monday if in stock.

carparts4less.co.uk - Gary, your link was for the 2.0 engine (£88); when I entered my own car (1.8TS) a different part number at cheaper price popped up £81.60 next day delivery.:)

I'm just thinking that as the unit is fitted to the rubber hoses with what looks like one-use-only 'circlips' - metal hose clips, - that I'm going to need a couple of replacements, I'm guessing any type of adjustable hose clip would do the job. But how would you recommend removing the existing ones - I can't see any unscrewing -type adjustment on them - do they need hacksawing off?:confused:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Lever them off with a screwdriver & replace with jubilee's or buy the clik-r type pliers that will enable re-use of the clips.

Alternatively, leave that all in place & simply replace the sensor only...

D

·
0 Posts
Lever them off with a screwdriver & replace with jubilee's or buy the clik-r type pliers that will enable re-use of the clips.

Alternatively, leave that all in place & simply replace the sensor only...
The clic-r pliers are only about £7 off fleabay and will pay for themselves if you do any other engine work.
I wouldnt recommend just replacing the sensor, no problem technically just suspect you will invalidate the warranty by doing so.

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks guys,

As eurocarparts store is only 5 miles from me at £82.80 after 25% 'winter discount'. Could pick up Monday if in stock.

carparts4less.co.uk - Gary, your link was for the 2.0 engine (£88); when I entered my own car (1.8TS) a different part number at cheaper price popped up £81.60 next day delivery.:)

I'm just thinking that as the unit is fitted to the rubber hoses with what looks like one-use-only 'circlips' - metal hose clips, - that I'm going to need a couple of replacements, I'm guessing any type of adjustable hose clip would do the job. But how would you recommend removing the existing ones - I can't see any unscrewing -type adjustment on them - do they need hacksawing off?:confused:
That link is for a cf2 MAF your car is a cf3.
The 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0ts MAFs are the same the only difference is between cf2 and cf3s.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Sensors can be bought without the (expensive) housing...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
!! that sensor alone is more expensive than the whole unit!!:cheese:

Can you run the whole cf2 and cf3 thing by me? I freely admit that I have no clue what you mean.

R U saying that after entering all my vehicle details on carparts4less they would have sent me the wrong part?

D

·
0 Posts
Ok - no your details should be right - the correct part no to check when you recive the MAF BOSCH 0281002309
cf2 engine run in the 156 from 98ish-2000/1, they have one cat under the car and cable throttle
cf3 run from 2001 on - three cats and drive by wire throtle
This might help
Alfa CF1/2/3 Engine Identification

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup, CF3 it is - identified thanks to your useful link to explanatory pics.

I've checked my part no. as fitted and agree 0281 002 309.

As neither carparts4less or eurocarparts show the Bosch number, I'll have to check this in-store before purchase. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts