Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I've been having a very bizarre and difficult time wasting event trying to navigate the alfa's poorly written documentation and electrical diagrams. I'm an auto electrician troubleshooting the vehicle. It's a 1998 GTV, inline four. I've replaced the steering column lever unit and the fuse box as they both failed internally. Now I'm on to testing all the lighting circuits. Front and rear fogs aren't working.

I have searched the forum before posting, the same question was asked before but the users failed to provide any photos attached to their threads and either no one replied or the original poster never updated their thread after they found the solution.

I have the 1998 manual and have been able to isolate and locate the control relay and fuse for the Rear fog circuit but CANNOT locate either the Front fog light relay or front fog light fuse. I have the entire fuse and control relay harness hanging down off the dashboard right now.

The manual says fuse G382 for front fogs is in a individual fuse holder with a red base, with a LTB/RED and LTB/RED feeding and leaving the fuse holder. The only red fuse holder base contains a BLU/RED and RED wire, which is a 10A fuse.

The manual says L17 front fog light relay is located on the bracket outset fusebox G1 (location A) with a black base, and a 20A relay. There is no relay with a black base having the wiring harness colours YEL/RED, BRN, GRN, and LTB/RED, the only individual relay base with a 20A relay is a green base.

I've tried to ohm out some wires from the front fog lights control switch but haven't been able to locate any of the circuit components.

Attached are photos of the wiring harness as-is, and photos of the documentation I have on the vehicle. Unfortunately due to the technical limitations of the forum software and restrictions on file size and resolution I have had to resize my original photos rendering any fine detail almost useless. I've had to double post to upload the remaining photos.

Kind regards

Attachments

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
EDIT: Sorry, forget that ,was from a 2002 manual ,not what you're dealing with.

Relay could well have been removed by a previous owner,as the lights have a reputation for melting

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After much frustration and amazement I had an idea to look at different model year documentation and found out the correct and accurate information for this 1998 GTV falls under the 1997 model year. Now to finish where I started !
Why would an auto manufacturer make so many wiring modifications each year ? Amazing.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
hehe well done :)
I've got two 97 cars which although similar,aren't the same.Its almost like they got a bit bored on the production line and moved things around to keep it interesting

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hehe well done :)
I've got two 97 cars which although similar,aren't the same.Its almost like they got a bit bored on the production line and moved things around to keep it interesting
that's very weird. i guess the italian manufacturers are very strange

1 - 6 of 6 Posts