Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of my old GTV/6 the other day, and wondered where it may be. It was a 1982 LHD USA car that I bought in the USA, and regretably sold in the UK when I went travelling. The last I heard, the owner had painted it blue (was silver) and was selling it due to emigrated to Australia, I had a Montreal, two GTV/6 and 3.0 75 on the drive or I would have bought it back. It doesn't show up on the MOT site, anyone know where it may be?
-H

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
If Im not mistaken the owner used to park it next to my GTV as our estate was safer, he lived close by in Canary Wharf this was around 2001 and he was a bodybuilder type, does that sound about right. I've got photos somewhere,

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If Im not mistaken the owner used to park it next to my GTV as our estate was safer, he lived close by in Canary Wharf this was around 2001 and he was a bodybuilder type, does that sound about right. I've got photos somewhere,
Awesome! I didn't know that. I bought the car in Nashville around 1992 - I still have the 1994 Tenessee tags in the attic. I imported the car around 1994, and sold her September 1997. I got a call around 2001 from the guy I sold it to in 1997, sadly I did not have the ability to buy it back then. I don't recall the 1997 guy being a body builder though. Photos would be great. I have several photos of the car in the USA and the UK.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I found this picture I took on the dock in Newark, 1993/4:
nice GTV!

love the row of brand new S4 spiders in the background.....if 93 they would have been production S4s, but if your photo is indeed 94 they would have been some of the special commemorative edition S4 spiders (S4 spider CE, limited to 190 cars) destined only for the USA, a sort of final offering before AR stupidly gave up on the US in 1994, to sell the left over S4s sitting around as the 916 had taken over.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you remember the name of the body builder guy? Was it David Crawford ?

I found another photo of the car at Goodwood. It wasn't until a bit later at a Mallory park Alfa track day I discovered that an Alfetta GTV with a twinspark in it will run rings around a GTV6.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
I've trawled all my digital photo albums, trouble was I think I only just about had a digital camera back then, it was 2001, it's definitely the same car as I remember number plates well, I have some photos but they are probably deep in a box somewhere. I always thought it was kind of cool seeing two gtv's parked next to each other every day, not even the scally wag kids in the hood would touch them, admittedly I did bribe a few of them a few quid every now and again to keep an eye on them. I don't recall the guys name,

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I never did see it in its new blue coat - was it light blue or dark blue? I sent a form to the DVLA to see if I can get any details on the car, see if it was exported or scrapped.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking for tyres last night and I types in my old GTV6 registration HCL908Y by mistake, and black circles knew the colour of my car! which is odd, since the DVLA website doesn't recognise the registration.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sadly if it doesn't come up on mot status or tax it might be toast now
So I just had to know what sort of toast it became. I found this website mycarcheck.com and I really didn;t think it would tell me anything, but for £3.99 I gave it a go. The report I got had some of the VIN, the engine number, notes about original colur, the colour change to blue, but also a plate change in 2001. No scrapping or exporting reported.
It only gave my the last 4 digits of the VIN, but I know it was a 1983MY, and it came from the USA, so it is something like:

ZARAA6695D1002925

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
160 Posts
So I just had to know what sort of toast it became. I found this website mycarcheck.com and I really didn;t think it would tell me anything, but for £3.99 I gave it a go. The report I got had some of the VIN, the engine number, notes about original colur, the colour change to blue, but also a plate change in 2001. No scrapping or exporting reported.
It only gave my the last 4 digits of the VIN, but I know it was a 1983MY, and it came from the USA, so it is something like:

ZARAA669?D1002925
It sounds like it was either was broken for parts, or wasn't taxed or sorn for so long it has disappeared off the database. It may well either be living on in other cars, or it's sat in a barn or garden somewhere waiting to be found...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts