Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
What jacking points do you like to use on your Giulietta? About to do a brake change (as first job I'll have done on it) so interested in where you use.

Thanks 馃檪
Paul

Registered
I use the jacking point indicated in the manual but have rubber blocks which have slots in them to avoid crushing the sills. Then use axle stands under the suspension mounts with a wooden blocks between.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I use the jacking point indicated in the manual but have rubber blocks which have slots in them to avoid crushing the sills. Then use axle stands under the suspension mounts with a wooden blocks between.
Sort of what I was considering, thanks 馃檪

Registered
On the front I normally jack up the car where the front subframe is attched to the body, then put stands under the subframe where the upright supports go to the cars body. These are roughly in line with the front axle line and have round circles visible where they are welded in if you look underneath.

Registered
I use the sills with my QuickJack. I am planning to buy the slotted rubber blocks, but so far the normal ones have been working just fine without bending the sills.

Registered
If you do go for the rubber blocks with slots don't bother with the ice hockey pucks that have a slot milled through them, they split. Get the moulded blocks. Some, like the one I have for my GTV, are moulded in the correct shape for the seam and contours of the sills.
The hockey pucks are ok for flattish surfaces.

Registered
If you look at the jack supplied with the car, the weight is taken behind the sill. If you feel behind, you can feel the strengthened areas. I use a block of wood behind the sill. There's not much space on the rear ones so it has to be just the right size.
I would be cautious of using something that puts weight in front of the sill.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
All good thoughts thanks 馃檪 Hopefully I'll get the fronts done tomorrow, so I'll see how it goes. Subframe sounds sensible so far! 馃檪

Registered
I jack off the frame where rear of lower arm connects,put stand under main chassis rail as the jacking points look weak like other Alfa鈥檚 and would probably bend on a stand.

Registered
I always try to use a trolley Jack and find good solid points to Jack up on. Subframe, strengthened bits for Suspension mounts etc. But worth getting to know how the manky Jack works and where it slots in daylight so if you ever have to use it in anger in the dark and rain, you've a rough idea what you're doing. I'd only had mine a few days before I had to do this and got it slightly wrong and soon discovered that the sills are like tinfoil... 鈽

Registered
Same here, exactly how I did my own brake pads.

Premium Member
At the front you can lift it off the flat pads just inboard of the sills or you can lift it directly off the box-section chassis-rails. At the rear, just inboard of the sill (quite a bit higher up) is a strengthened section you can lift on, you will need tall wooden blocks to get to this one. Giuliettas do have strong sill lips, much better than 156/147/GT/GTV etc but it is best practice to avoid lifting off the sill lip if you can.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I went for the reinforced areas just by the rear of the front wheek arch, then stand on the reinforced area of the sill for safety. Worked beautifully. Thanks for the various tip and tricks 馃檪

1 - 17 of 17 Posts