Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I just sold my cloverleaf mito and bought a work hack...this has enabled me to find a nice 1983 2.5 gtv6 ..its not rusty however its been stood for a few years but it turns over didnt try to start it tho, and once its trailered to my garage i'm going to recommision it...and use it eventually...is there a specific gtv forum that doesnt include the 90s and later models ? and whos the guru that can advise me on how to correctly start this baby up ?
mucho appreciation up front . Ed

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Also look in the classic alfa section too :thumbs:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yer not sure how bad underneath not had proper dig yet. but inner wings are gr8 as are all the panels bar some minor surface rust on o/s rear arch...no rust on windscreen surrounds, bottom of doors/boot or around sunroof...i wouldnt have bought it if it was rusty... yer its time warp condition.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh and i'll prove it with pics once its here oh yer baby....thanks on the killer name thing hahaa

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,310 Posts
Great choice of car, but then I am biased……… !

I refurbed one last year, a lot of fun and ended up with a lovely car but don’t underestimate the costs and the trial and tribulations en route. Mine didn’t have much rust either so there are some good ones out there.

Good luck with it, check out the Links for info and encouragement.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/the-classic-alfa-romeos/208011-alfetta-gtv-spares-thread.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/the-classic-alfa-romeos/200974-alfetta-gtv-register.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/the-classic-alfa-romeos/212387-the-gtv6-refurb-begins.html

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nige thanks so much i am looking at your links with interest i can't tell you how much i appreciate this...i currently need to replace all the hoses, who did you go to ? i'm thinking of upgrading them to some decent ones ..did you ? or did you just get originals? Ed

·
16,310 Posts
Nige thanks so much i am looking at your links with interest i can't tell you how much i appreciate this...i currently need to replace all the hoses, who did you go to ? i'm thinking of upgrading them to some decent ones ..did you ? or did you just get originals? Ed

:thumbs: I didn't have to change any hoses Ed, they were all in good condition. My car had been in a shed for nineteen years before it was bought by it's previous owner who kindly replaced the Rear Callipers and Clutch, sorted out some problems with the Plenum and Exhaust Manifold, got it through an MoT and then lost interest, which is where I came in........

Run it for 4 Months more or less as it was and then started the refurb, enter Credit Card stage right ! :eek:

You'll see a good lot of suppliers mentioned in the Spares Thread, EB, Highwood etc before you have to move on to the more exotic ones listed. You may have trouble finding some bits, you may not find some at all. I had to rebuild the Speedo Sender as I just couldn't find one at all after months of looking. Still haven't seen one after 18 Months.

Start your daily trawl through eBay and snatch up anything you even think might be useful but try to avoid some of the Listers on there, robbing ***** ! Look at international listings too, the new Badges for mine came from Italy , the Side Indicator Repeaters from Romania ( or was it Hungary ? ), some bits from the USA and Gawd knows where else, it was all part of the fun !

Don't be discouraged, the most common things you might need are usually readily available, it's mainly Trim and 'leccy bits that seem to be difficult.

You'll end up with a great car that is fun to drive and very unusual, a recent site I visited says that there are only about 40 Alfetta GTV's of all variants currently taxed or SORN ed, that's exclusivity for you !

A cautionary word though, it's unlikely that you'll get your money back if you decide to sell after getting it sorted, prices for what seem to be well sorted examples are still low ish, a nice example should get about £5K but not seen many go for more than that. My opinion is that prices will rise eventually so do it for fun and not as an investment and in the long term the fun will also double as a good investment.

Let us know how you get on, why not start a Thread like I did and tell us the story.

All the best,

Nige.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow nige 40 left..well i'll do my best to give it new life....yes i will start a thread and i'll stick photos on etc...cars coming on monday then i will start on it slowly slowly !!

·
16,310 Posts
wow nige 40 left..well i'll do my best to give it new life....yes i will start a thread and i'll stick photos on etc...cars coming on monday then i will start on it slowly slowly !!
:thumbs: Sounds like Monday is going to be a good day !

Enjoy the process Ed. I wasn't too keen on the mechanics of getting it done initially but in the end I really enjoyed it, so much so that I'd do another car on the same basis.

If only I had the spare cash........ !

Here's a Link to the site I mentioned, I was wrong, the figure seems to be 48 !

How Many Left?

Good luck, keep us informed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts