Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then, we expect some model to be a market success and the marque making it comes up with something completely different and weird.

I was looking for FIAT Croma and found these pics - they are made by a independent studio - but IMO that is exactly how the new Croma should have looked.

Back in the 90s, old Croma was a nice car - Italian engined affordable saloon, quite fast in some stronger version - cheaper sister of Alfa 164.

The new one is a miss - I believe its practical and good, but the styling....Miss.

So, if you have similar opinions on some car... put it here.

Here is how it should look like IMO:

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2006/11/27-fiat-argenta-concept-by-cww-cardesign/_Fiat-Argenta-Coupe-lg.jpg

And this is as we all know it:

http://www.carpages.co.uk/fiat/fiat_images/fiat_croma_08_08_05.jpg

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I thought the new Croma was built on the platform of the Vauxhall Signum? I had a Signum for my sins and for what i needed a car for, I couldn't fault it. When the Croma came out, I had a look and thought:vomit:
The proportiomns were all wrong. Opportunity missed to fill a niche market.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
The first one looks a bit like a Peugeot in shape.

Big Fiats don't sell very well over here, and although The croma is a good car it is very bland.

The old Croma was not a patch on the other type 4 cars either.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first one looks a bit like a Peugeot in shape.

Big Fiats don't sell very well over here, and although The croma is a good car it is very bland.

The old Croma was not a patch on the other type 4 cars either.
Yeah, I am not saying its gorgeus, but the 1st one would have been my choice, compared to lets say Vectra or Mondeo, or 407, etc.

I agree on that the old Croma lacked some thing that the 9000, 164 and Thema had plenty.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, I am not saying its gorgeus, but the 1st one would have been my choice, compared to lets say Vectra or Mondeo, or 407, etc.

I agree on that the old Croma lacked some thing that the 9000, 164 and Thema had plenty.
But dont forget that the Croma was much cheaper than the other three. I remember seeing a "Car" magazine test at the time which pitched the base model CHT against similarly priced cars from a class down including the Sierra. As far as I remember, it won.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But dont forget that the Croma was much cheaper than the other three. I remember seeing a "Car" magazine test at the time which pitched the base model CHT against similarly priced cars from a class down including the Sierra. As far as I remember, it won.
I said it was a good car, its all down to market demands, FIAT was supposed to offer a cheap saloon, at the price of a solid compact, and the other three were a bit premium at the time, taking on the 5 Series and W124, for instance.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
I think I have only ever seen 1 of each type of Croma on the road.

The Croma was pitched at the Rover 800 and Ford Granada wasn't it, where as the 9000, Thema and 164 were pitched further upmarket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts