Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the way the world is certainly with regard to car purchasing for us old cash buyers after a new motor!

The price variation between cash purchases and PCP, HP, is a real eye opener to us.:depressed:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Good point. There seems to be a massive decrepancy and business want to almost force people into HP/PCP as if works out better for them.

Dealerships advertising the cash price as the PCP price is quite annoying too. Oh this car is 23000 on a PCP but 26000 for cash.. What?!

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
They want PCP A) they make money on the finance B) they control the end price, either they make you pay over the odds for it at 3yrs as a balloon or you give it back and they sell it over the odds as an approved used.

If you buy it for cash you can sell it at anytime and likely at a lower price than the manufacturer would like to see for its "premium" cars.

·
Registered
37,746 Posts
Between getting nothing on a P/X or getting ripped off by we-steal-any-car.com and then stuffed on a PCP deal it's a wonder this country isn't broke.

Glad I only change my car every 5 or six years and usually buy second hand outside of the trade.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Last car I bought from a main dealer was in 2006. That was only a £6k VW Passat and they really wanted me to take out finance even though I had cash (or money in the bank).
Never bought one using their finance I don't think. I've always had personal loans if I have needed credit.
I know that has changed now and they really want you to take out the finance.

Reactions: zulu ferret

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah well, we'll just have to keep looking closely at the bedroom ceiling on our elevated mattress for the time being, and run her jalopy until it 'don't wanta' run 'no more.:D

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Last car I bought from a main dealer was in 2006. That was only a £6k VW Passat and they really wanted me to take out finance even though I had cash (or money in the bank).
Never bought one using their finance I don't think. I've always had personal loans if I have needed credit.
I know that has changed now and they really want you to take out the finance.
Yep agree. My cousin bought a 4 series last year and they told her that she had to take it on finance if she wanted the discount price. However she was allowed to pay the full amount off after just a few months.

Bad tactics IMO. It's shoving it down the customers throat as they will be targeted on finance deals, personally I would have walked away.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Between getting nothing on a P/X or getting ripped off by we-steal-any-car.com and then stuffed on a PCP deal it's a wonder this country isn't broke.

Glad I only change my car every 5 or six years and usually buy second hand outside of the trade.
WBAC are a joke! Offered me £255 for my 147 I sold it private within a week for £895.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
The country is broke!

This is one of the reasons why there is more chance of me flying to the moon than setting foot in a main dealer.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I bought a Panda for Mrs P last Sept. £1000 off the top line straight away, another £1750 deposit contribution from Fiat, additional £500 loyalty bonus for owning the Alfa with a reduced finance rate of 1.2%. We had cash in the bank but with that finance rate and discounts it was a no brainer. We can pay off the balance after 6 months anyway.

Reactions: MalcQV

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I bought a Panda for Mrs P last Sept. £1000 off the top line straight away, another £1750 deposit contribution from Fiat, additional £500 loyalty bonus for owning the Alfa with a reduced finance rate of 1.2%. We had cash in the bank but with that finance rate and discounts it was a no brainer. We can pay off the balance after 6 months anyway.
I had a look at a Guiletta QV not too long ago and was amazed that the finance deals with Alfa and dealer contributions being offered were way better than cash.

If I compare that to when I bought a brand new GT in '07, I was a cash buyer courtesy of a very cheap loan from the bank, and the finance deal was no where near as good as a cash purchase for myself then.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Just bought our third Honda CRV that we use as the family car / tower. It's the latest top of the range EX 1.6 twin turbo diesel 160 Bhp. If I'd have bought one at £34000 with Honda including £3000 contribution it still came out at about £34k after the interest was factored back in. Found a 5 month old ex demo with 4000 miles on it for £25k including 5 years servicing. Took out a £17k loan at 3.4 % for the balance I needed so it cost me about £1k in interest over 4 years. Cash was King for me £8k saving for a virtually new car and no mileage restrictions which is what I don't like about pcps as I do a fair few miles.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
WBAC are a joke! Offered me £255 for my 147 I sold it private within a week for £895.
I think they're currently offering about £225 for our 916 Spider. However it started at £50 :lol:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I think they're currently offering about £225 for our 916 Spider. However it started at £50 :lol:
:lol: I do think a lot of places chance their arm. A friend of mine is in the army and she has a 59 plate 118i M Sport, local (rather large) dealer offered her £4500! Cat D are more than that! It only really needs a wheel refurb.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yep agree. My cousin bought a 4 series last year and they told her that she had to take it on finance if she wanted the discount price. However she was allowed to pay the full amount off after just a few months.

Bad tactics IMO. It's shoving it down the customers throat as they will be targeted on finance deals, personally I would have walked away.
Had similar recently with a non franchise used car dealer. They are quite popular round here and would sell a fair few BMW, Audi/VW and Volvo. We were looking at a an A3 for my wife (I know,deserve all I get :smile:) well at the browsing stage really. The car was about 15K and immmediately the salesman pitched in about a finance deal. He went on about how paying for a car should be the same as any utility bill. Well I'm a bit old school when it comes to this and asked for a cash deal. He was actually reluctant to give me a price -I think he genuinely did not want to sell the car straight to me. I asked for a discount for cash and after some arm twisting he offered me £100 pound off a 15K car (it wasn't even that well priced anyway!). At least I came away better informed about how there are some many BMW's and Audis around here:laugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts