Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lots of c#cking around I finally got the inner CV joint off my 156 JTD sportswagon...and now I found out the joint I bought is for the petrol engined versions. Can't find the inner CV joint at any of the usual places - any ideas? Don't want to pay dealer prices!

By the way if anyone is changing wishbones it looks a million times easier with the driveshaft/hubs off! Too late for me though :mad:

·
Registered
916 Posts
If it's a 10 valve, they should be available from your local factor. If it's 20 valve, then as far as I'm aware, they are only available from the dealer (this is the type with a "tulip" containing a 3-roller "spider")- you have to buy each part (tulip, spider, boot) separately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a 10Valve. All my local factors say they don't have one listed (ok I called 3 and no luck)

Unforunately that one off ebay is the one I bought it is completely wrong :mad: The driveshaft I removed from my car has 36 splines and the CV joint I bought only has 25 splines!!! Try telling the guy who sold it to me it is wrong....loser.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Give J&R a call (0121 242 1820), if you give him a description of the one you have taken off, he will be able to confirm the correct part is sent, even if there isn't one listed.
Can't remember the chap's name, but they are on eBay too, here is their eBay shop.
All of the parts programs were telling other factors that the CV joint on my A6 1.8T was the same as that on the V6, that is not the case!
I explained this to J&R who then matched the CV joint I required, using the measurements and description I provided.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Thinking about it, the 10v JTD inner CV should be the same as a 2.5 V6's, so if you ring J&R, ask him to check yours against that (they are open from 0800-2200). :thumbs:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers - I'll give them a try tomorrow. :thumbs:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered from Alfa for £39.99. I tried J&R but he didn't agree with the number of splines. I cleaned it up and recounted 34 grooves in the CV joint. Counted it ten times and even got my missus to count it too : ). Lee is sure the joint has 33 but didn't want me to buy it if I am counting 34! I'll see how I get on with Alfa part....if anyones right they must be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still no CV JOINT!!!

After Blade Alfa in Cheltenham wasted 3 weeks getting me the wrong part (who is slow? Alfa UK or Blade Alfa?) I have now found out there is an ETA of March on the joint :cry: .
So put the old one back on with a new boot and lots of grease.....hitching lifts to work for 3 weeks is pretty ****y.

Hopefully she'll pass the MOT now.

Only plus point is that I got a great deal on a supersport adjustable suspension kit POTN - If you are looking for an Supersport Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon 2.5 24V, 2.4 JTD 05/2000 Height Adjustable Coilovers lowers 35-65mm front and 35-65mm rear (SU80AL02) click here Supersport so will let you know how the ride is afterwards! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts