Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well if that extra delay means that they install a decent dealer network, then it's probably for the better.
Let's face it we have waited long enough! An extra ice age isn't gonna hurt eh?
:thinking:

·
Registered
406 Posts
The bottom line matters a lot more to Marchionne than Alfa's revival

Investing in Jeep seems a lot less riskier than investing in Alfa

If you want an Alfa, buy a Jeep

·
Registered
774 Posts
A mate has just ordered his new Giulietta QV. The dealer is apparently expecting the Giulia in showrooms in September. This September that is.

Ummm.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
It *appears* they have had crash test issues with the Giulia, hence the delay... For all the romance attached to the skunk works I cant help feeling this set up hasn't helped in this matter..

TURIN – Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has lured former Ferrari chief engineer Roberto Fedeli back from BMW Group to help fix mounting technical challenges. He will be chief technical officer at Alfa Romeo and Maserati.

An FCA spokesman today confirmed the appointment without saying whether it is a newly created position or whether an executive has been fired or reassigned to accommodate the change.

Fedeli arrives at time when FCA has a number of technical problems to solve. The launch of the Alfa Romeo Giulia is months behind schedule. Supplier sources have told Automotive News Europe the Giulia failed to pass front, side and rear crash tests, which has resulted in an extensive re-engineering that has added about six months to the midsize sedan's development time.

Maserati's product launch cadence also is off schedule. The automaker's first SUV, the Levante, was supposed to debut in mid-2015 but is not scheduled to go on sale until this summer. The production version of the Levante is expected to appear at next month's Geneva auto show.

Fedeli returns to Italy after a 16-month stint in Munich at BMW following 26 years at Ferrari. He rose to head of r&d for Ferrari's production-car division in 2007 and played a key role in creation of the LaFerrari, a hybrid supercar that sold out before its launch despite a price tag of more than 1-million euros plus taxes. The LaFerrari is also the only hybrid model produced by Fiat Chrysler so far.

Pictured at the unveiling of LaFerrari at the Geneva show in March 2013 are Roberto Fedeli (second from right) with (from left) Ferrari design head Flavio Manzoni; Fiat Chairman John Elkann; former Ferrari Chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo; Ferrari CEO Amedeo Felisa; and Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne.

Fedeli will report to Harald Wester, who is CEO of Alfa Romeo and Maserati, as well as FCA's chief technical officer.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Supplier sources have told Automotive News Europe the Giulia failed to pass front, side and rear crash tests, which has resulted in an extensive re-engineering that has added about six months to the midsize sedan's development time.
Didn't Marchionne say that they were delaying the Giuilia's launch so that they could get it right before launching it? If that's true, looks like they failed!

Farcical!

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Looking forward to the 2 'speciality' ones - surely that means something sporty looking that doesn't start above £50k?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
On Auto Mundial on the Motors channel last night they reported that the Giulia QV would be further delayed due to "technical" reasons. No news there then but they also reported that the 'cooking' version would still be revealed at the Geneva show. Can but hope.

Wonder if they'll surprise everyone and reveal the SUV at Geneva as this is surely the one they need (I said need, not want, before the nay-sayers kick off). My patience is wearing a little thin and if I don't see something soon I'm afraid there'll be an some other make replacing my Kuga on my drive.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I tried to enquire about a new Giulietta a couple of weeks ago as there were some strong offers advertised at some dealers. One dealer didn't even phone back, another was helpful but offered far too little for my MiTo and said it was just what was left in stock as the factory was shut for new orders, and Drive The Deal advised me that they couldn't provide anything as they're not able to order any Alfa's at present, despite saying they could get around £6k off list price on their website.

I think it'd be better if Alfa went into writing tabloid newspapers, coz they sure as hell do a better job at spouting bull*hit about what their plans are than they do producing cars.

Kinda reaching the point where I think if they can't do it properly, just pack up and go home :(

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Are Alfa making any cars at the moment?

·
Registered
36,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Mitos have always been sporadic at Mirafiori but I imagine the Giulietta is coming off the line at Cassino with the new grille by now. And there seem to be several 4Cs around the dealerships now so that line could relax a bit too.

·
Registered
36,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Couldn't add to previous posting , but look at the number of 4Cs available. That's quite a percentage of the U.K. Sales? Obviously it's good to have them at the dealers for image purposes but it could be seen as a bit of a glut by some too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Ugh, if they've got to get a good crash test rating, the new car is going to be another 159 :(

Putting all the extra crumple zones, strengthening, etc into a car increases it's weight, which is bound to decrease it's dynamic 'feel'.

Shame they can't make do with a lousy crash test rating and make a new Sud...

·
Registered
36,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brera is a 159 coupe as the never tested A5 is to the crash tested A4 ?
At least pedestrian protection will be the same as the 159?

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,559 Posts
It *appears* they have had crash test issues with the Giulia, hence the delay... For all the romance attached to the skunk works I cant help feeling this set up hasn't helped in this matter...
you could well be right, but I'm still a bit baffled. The 159, MiTo and Giulietta all scored 5 NCAP stars so a good crash result isn't beyond Alfa's capabilities. Also, is it normal that something so fundamental to the car - and its development - should only be discovered to be below par this close to production? I thought the Giulia QV was already rolling down the production line at 30 units a day.

Or is it simply a case that a part (of not much significance) didn't perform as desired, thus causing it to fail Alfa's internal tests (or a bit like a car that performs very well in the NCAP impact tests with excellent protection, but gets marked down to four stars because its pedestrian safety isn't too good).

I read elsewhere that only one supplier had made this claim, and that the failed tests were the computer simulations (although if they're as accurate as claimed, that could still pose a problem).

Time will tell :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts