Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been reading the 'what car' cars for 2012/13 and apart from the 4C no mention of any new Alfa models. I know there is a lot of speculation over what Alfa are going to launch in 2013 but surely they should be jumping on any bandwagon they can as early as possible to raise awareness. I accept there is a anti Alfa bias in car magazines but I do get fed up of reading what BMW and Merc are up to. Am I the only one??

·
Administrator
87,029 Posts
Just been reading the 'what car' cars for 2012/13 and apart from the 4C no mention of any new Alfa models. I know there is a lot of speculation over what Alfa are going to launch in 2013 but surely they should be jumping on any bandwagon they can as early as possible to raise awareness. I accept there is a anti Alfa bias in car magazines but I do get fed up of reading what BMW and Merc are up to. Am I the only one??

This is the current plan as of September 2011 :

2010 2014 Frankfurt Investor Conference Sept 2011.JPG

However there is now also talk of a Giulietta SW in 2013 http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/general-alfa-discussion/314401-giulietta-estate-for-2013-a.html

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
very few magazines cover Alfa. It is not hard to understand why: few model releases, very low advertising budget, and small market share. When they can fill their advertising with VW / BMW and have 20 'micro-update' models from each of the main market companies every year they just don't need to cover Alfa.

Oh, and motoring journalists are notoriously lazy and easily swayed by freebies ... ;-)

·
Registered
34,356 Posts
And when,as with Car magazine , they get one long term it goes to somebody who is not an Alfista

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
frustration frustration frustration. Whilst I would never want Alfa to become mainstream like Ford or Vauxhall, I would like a higher profile in the press. I don't understand why Alfa are happy to sit on their laurels especially at a time when they have such a poor selection of models in the range. It must be hard being a Alfa salesman only having two cars (all be it) good ones to sell.

·
Registered
34,356 Posts
The issue is that you cannot make a business of producing used cars.A car company needs to produce a reasonable quantity of cars and sell them new or at least get them on the fleet or rental market.How many people here have bought their Alfa new ?
Alfa are busy "selling"Giuliettas to daily rental which they hoped to avoid.Buying a new Alfa still takes a bit of courage and of there is an even more expensive model to look up to then this helps some people . Alfa stops at Giulietta qv and there is no Gt replacement

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and that was their biggest mistake ever not replacing or enhancing the GT. One of, if not the best car I owned. Totally agree about buying alfa's new, been stung twice in that department, now will only buy ex demo's. But what damage to sales by not having a replacement to compete against the BMW 3, merc c class etc until 2013, or a replacement for the brera, whilst a fab car, one I never really understood where it sat in the range, surely if you were in the market for that type of car you would by a spider.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
There was a list in auto express-no I dont normally read it got it for free Auto Glym pack but it lists the following coming soon.
2013 Mito 5dr
2013 Guilia
4c for 2012
Suv in 2013
New spider late 2013 along with 169.
So guess they have stuff in the pipeline to look forward to, just Fiat is making us wait.

·
Administrator
87,029 Posts
2013 Guilia --> 2014
4C for 2012 --> 2013
New spider late 2013 along with 169. --> 2014

And wait ;)

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
To be fair, Fiat Group just bought Chrysler and their first job is to sort that crock out.

If Alfa isn't selling Alfa's then it is at least selling the underpinnings of the Giulietta as the Dodge Dart... Sell a few tens-thousand of those and that makes the Giulietta more profitable (economies of scale etc.) and that bodes well longer term.

The new models in the pipeline are taking time since I think it does take time to build a new car and develop it even a little bit.. :D The Giulia needs to be spectacular to sell in large numbers though.. and I hope it will finally be able to challenge Beemer and Merc, rather than just VW (Passat).

The SuV is again more Giulietta .. probably Alfa can build it because the same "widebody" (I thought we ended that "widey" vs "skinny" nonsense with the 155... :D ) platform is used by the Dart... and this will again hopefully provide a sales rush... best they get it right.

I'd like to see a Giulietta-based GTV (2+2 or even a pure 2-seater) but I think the next one out would be a Spider, just because Alfa has to have a Spider.. :) Hopefully it'll be a rag top than a metal folding job.. :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well i bought my GQV new.
And yes, i would like to see the new spider because i want one!

·
Registered
510 Posts
The new models in the pipeline are taking time since I think it does take time to build a new car and develop it even a little bit.. :D

The SuV is again more Giulietta .. probably Alfa can build it because the same "widebody" (I thought we ended that "widey" vs "skinny" nonsense with the 155... :D ) platform is used by the Dart... and this will again hopefully provide a sales rush... best they get it right.

Ralf S.
True. However, other manufacturers seem to be able to design and develop their new cars before they remove the older models from the lineup. I don't see why Alfa can't do this.:confused:

As I have said before on other threads, the SUV was earmarked for production in the US. This has now been scrapped by SM at Fiat and AFAIK, so has the SUV.

In fact, when you look at it Alfa have the same number of models for sale as Saab did. Saab went into self imposed bankruptcy in December!:eek:

·
Registered
206 Posts
The alfa CXover cuv is NOT dead. It is going into production at Belvidere works USA late 2012 for early 2013 launch worldwide. SM said it will get the 1.8 liter aluminum alloy turbo engine, seven-speed TCT gearbox, and AWD. It will also be exported to other markets. This combiniation should qualify for cloverleaf status. It uses the same platform as Dodge Dart. I intend to buy one of the first ones and, if necessary, re-tune the exhaust for a ferrari/maserati tone and use Yokohama suv tires to aid foul weather performance. :D :cool:

·
Registered
510 Posts
That's interesting. According to Italiaspeed back in Novemebr, the SUV had been cancelled as the new Jeep SUV that had been intended for for construction in Italy had been shifted over to the US and as part of this the Alfa SUV had been cancelled.:confused:

Is there another SUV then? And if it is to go into production in 2012 for worldwide sale in early 2013, seems strange no-one knows what it looks like or has seen any official image of it!

I will treat anything SM says with regard to Alfa with a lrage pinch of salt and use the old saying; 'I'll believe it when I see it!':rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts