Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Very cool ! The default look for the Polski Fiat crossing the border back into Poland used to be to cram as many pairs of jeans in as possible, leaving just enough room for the driver (who must wear a brown leather jacket and be smoking) and prop the engine cover open stop it overheating. It may be a look worth reviving - a kind of slightly more exotic Del Boy.
Scouring the used car market, I still cant find an alternative to the 159 that appeals that isn't twice the price or much more thirsty or is ugly or has the interior of a grannys cottage.
I think I'll stick for as long as I can. We are pretty lucky not to have salt on our roads and a kind climate - makes owning an interesting oldish car a more viable proposition.
A mate had a yellow DAF variomatic for quite a few years in the late 70's - now that was a car! We went in it to see the Chelsea cruise races across one of the Thames bridges (I forget which one) any way he took a wrong turn and we ended up driving down the drag strip just before the next race - we got a big cheer from the crowd.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm assuming your cars don't get affected by rust like over here. If that's the case and you really like your 159 (I think they look striking/mean and have cool interiors, I like the tilt on the centre console) then you could keep on top of maintenance and make it last.

I've had my Gtv for 12 years it's on 159600miles now, on average I've spent £1k a year on servicing and repairs (few upgrades too). I like the car, how it drives and can't think what I'd swap it for that would be as much fun without crazy bills.

The 2.4 diesel is not as complex as the newer diesels so should be easy to keep on the road and do big miles right?

As soon as the car starts signalling something is wrong then get it looked at and repaired then it should do the long journeys, 3 or 4 year old cars still can leave you stranded by the road side. If you lose a cylinder on the 2.4 it should still get you home :) An injector failed on my v6 but I drove home and then to the garage.

Got a Giulietta too as the hatchback offered practicality (fuel saving too), it handles really well and looks great. Interior is nice and modern but personally I like the 159 and Gtv exteriors and seats/cocooned feeling more.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts