Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
aye it does come on very early, reckon based on the fact that there is one segment left on the gauge and assuming that it goes down uniformly on the clock and in the tank then about 40miles or so is left at a very rough guess.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
....what mileage have i got left?
Im looking for a guide, just so I can push it a bit further and run out.:cry:
I'd fill it up if I was you, it does cars no good at all letting them get low on fuel, as any residue/detritus in the bottom of the fuel tank can be disturbed and get into fuel lines or clog the fuel filter.
Very bad practice imo.

Rob

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Not enough. Check out my post in the general discussion section. Mine ran out this morning :rolleyes:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I havent had my Alfa that long and it really surprised me when the light came on so early, i mean you have a whole pizza slice left! Last night i did 30 motorway miles on the redlight and i still had over half a segment left. I reckon it'd do 50-60 motorway miles, and perhaps 30-40 stop-start/unpredictable driving. Doesnt it start to get really frantic when you're close to the limit though? Lots off beeping, limited mileage warning mesages etc? I'd love to know how far someone has pushed it.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
I've had the light come on a couple of times, and then had to put in about 55litres to top her up.

I think that would equate to almost 2 gallons reserve :rolleyes:

Legal Disclaimer: the above figures are based on an almost senile memory recall of events that happened some time ago, with finger-in-the-air approximations of how much petrol went in and how much was left. Do not take these figures as definitive and don't balme me if you run out of petrol in the middle of nowhere :tut:

;)

·
Registered
507 Posts
what can be described as fuel light bingo

for the 156 in the manual it says that at 7L it will activate the light so mileage will depend on driving conditions and how you stamp on the loud button

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Remember my Saab used to get really angry with me when low on fuel eventually ending up beeping and flashing 'FILL UP NOW' - loads of use at 2am on a Sunday morning in deepest, darkest France.

Just as a test on the Alfa (and worked on the Saab as well) watch the range decrease as you're driving then switch off and restart and it'll be showing you a different (usually far lower) number. Great when you've found the only fuel station for miles around then realised it won't accept your credit card ! It's at times like this that Sat Nav really ought to have an option of 'Find the nearest petrol station that's open, has the right fuel, will accept my credit card and if possible is in the direction I was originally travelling in'

After a couple of sphincter tightening moments I'm now a fully paid up member of the 'fill up early' brigade.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My 147 sele got really low (when I bought it - hardly any fuel) and a picture of a petrol pump appeared beneath the gear number box, after mega beeping of course. I reckon that was REALLY low. Not been there since.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm obviously not trying hard enough - the best I can manage is when the range changes from a number to '---'

·
Registered
890 Posts
I normally run about 20 miles into the reserve tank in a 2.0 GTV. And I prefer to let the tank run dry every time. you must be doing something wrong to have detritis accumlate in your tank for a start, and what's the point in carrying and extra 30kg of fuel everwhere you go?

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Given the needle moves faster towards empty than when full, I try and fill up as soon as the light comes on ... I have left it driving down the M40 but it was a very uncomfortable ride .... waiting for that spluttering sound followed by silence ....

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I know I can easily get from Lincoln to the Shell garage on the A14 at Fenstanton with the fuel light on.
That is about 87 miles and it still takes less than 60L even then!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
You crazy amber gamblers:p

Not sure about the newer 156/159 etc but my 99 156 gauge is and always has been random. If I park nose down even slightly I gain a quarter tank and it takes about 5 miles to settle. FREE FUEL!!!!!

I rarely fill right up. I just find it hard to hand over £50-60 in one go. I know it's daft because I pay anyway - I may be a bit odd.

To answer the question I never take her past 35ish miles past the amber light - not brave enough.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
When the amber petrol symbol lights up, I think it has 40-50miles left. Worst I have done is when it then flashes up "range limited", but I filled up within a few streets of getting that message just in case!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had the light come on a couple of times, and then had to put in about 55litres to top her up.

I think that would equate to almost 2 gallons reserve :rolleyes:

Legal Disclaimer: the above figures are based on an almost senile memory recall of events that happened some time ago, with finger-in-the-air approximations of how much petrol went in and how much was left. Do not take these figures as definitive and don't balme me if you run out of petrol in the middle of nowhere :tut:

;)
:cheese: @ disclaimer :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts