Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is it time to open up and have some proper fun?

I've got 600 miles on the clock but don't want to be too rough with my Mito too early. Some people indicate they thrash their cars - sounds fun but does that give any problems later in life? Are the engines resilient? How many revs are ok now and in general use?

Also, those miles I have done have been mostly in the poor weather, some A road driving (about a third). Some say constant speed/revs on motorways for example isn't good in the youth of an engine. So when is the youth period over?

If I sound a noob then probably because I had a standard Fiesta before....

R

·
0 Posts

I've got 600 miles on the clock but don't want to be too rough with my Mito too early. Some people indicate they thrash their cars - sounds fun but does that give any problems later in life? Are the engines resilient? How many revs are ok now and in general use?

Also, those miles I have done have been mostly in the poor weather, some A road driving (about a third). Some say constant speed/revs on motorways for example isn't good in the youth of an engine. So when is the youth period over?

I think you are doing the right thing not thrashing it in the early miles, I reckon about 1k miles and then you can pretty much give it the beans whenever you like, the 120 is a great car and once you open it up you will have some real fun :thumbs:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Treat her like a Lady!

I agree with ray- i left it till1k b4 i let rip, but did let her run up the rev range a few times just to loosen her up. In fact treat her like your first date! You need to think of the break in as foreplay! You will eventually be rewarded with the ride of your life. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I'm not sure what your definition of thrashing it is, but I don't put too much stress on the gearbox/clutch most of the time. As for bedding in the engine, I think it has had plenty of exercise after 600 miles and you shouldn't take unnecessary measures to bed it in more, especially since it should be ready from the factory.

I only accelerate to the max at rare times e.g. when I'm at the traffic lights about to "drag race" or if i'm going to overtake someone, or if I want the thrill of the acceleration. But it's still possible to go fast without wearing down the parts too much, I try to always change gear smoothly and I avoid revving past 4000 rpm because it sounds like it's straining the engine a bit, and there is very little gain in going higher than 4k rpm anyway, as the power feels pretty much constant between 3-5k revs (power being proportional to the torque and the rpm, and the turbocharger means torque at lower revs is higher, but even when the turbo looses effectiveness, the extra rpm makes up for it). Hopefully smooth driving helps preserve the long term reliability of the mechanical parts.

I personally find the joy in driving is around the corners, so instead of thrashing the engine and gearbox I tend to try and maintain my speed around the corner (when it's safe to do so). Cornering shouldn't do any damage to the car except on tyre wear.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Every car, it is recommended 1000km (600miles) at least. You should red-line your car once or twice within that time, according to a few people from service departments I've spoken to.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I agree with ray- i left it till1k b4 i let rip, but did let her run up the rev range a few times just to loosen her up. In fact treat her like your first date! You need to think of the break in as foreplay! You will eventually be rewarded with the ride of your life. :thumbs:
Haha!!! :thumbs: 30seconds of heaven, eh? ;)

G

·
0 Posts
600 Miles should be enough, if i was you i would go out right now and thrash it on every road you can. But thats just me.

A sensible person on the other hand would say wait until 1000 miles, then break her in gently!

You only live once though, and you know your car wont last forever so may aswel boot it from mile 1.

·
Registered
336 Posts
i found that from about 1000 miles on the car loosened up and i now frequnetly boot it to hear the roar of the engine in the peak torque / power band (t'is very nice). You do only live once but also your car is only new once. Treat it as a long term relationship (take it out to dinner a few times, maybe a film and when you know that you love her / him give it a good ******ing).

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Definitely. Like I said, you want to open it up FULLY a couple times quite early on, just to unlock all of the horses (from what I've been told by technicians and mechanics).
I redlined mine, properly, once after about 500miles, but it was an accident. It was so much smoother and quieter than the cars I'd learnt in that I didn't know it had reached the red-line so quickly until the power cut out.

I dunno if it unlocked any horses, my car's still dead slow :lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
i think there's been another similar thread on engine wear and tear and breaking it in etc and there were as you would imagine lots of different opinions

so as a personal choice which i may live to regret i chose to thrash my car as you put it with 17 miles on the clock i have the 120bhp engine and its been fine so far im now at 3500 miles i did however keep a very close eye on the oil levels which have also been fine

p.s i know dealers cant be trusted as far as you can throw them but when i enquired about this on the day i picked up my car my dealer gave me a story about the engines being pressed at the factory so in his words i could horse it home safe in the knowledge that i wasn't doing any damage to the engine

only time will tell i suppose and when that time does come around i pray to the alfa gods that i will have purchased my brera and it will be someone else's problem :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
In my opinion 600 miles is enough, i probably took mine to the red line 2 or 3 times within the first 600 miles, she felt better for it after aswell and especialy after 1000 miles :)

Take her out and open her up, I like steeds comment :p Hopefully when i get my brera too it will be someone elses problem haha.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I gave mine 1000 miles, but I've thrown it around the rev range a few times in that period (when it was warm of course) just to loosen it up as said previously.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts