Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When would be considered a good millage to re shell the TS engine. I'm amazed this hasn't come up before. Nothing in the search? I only ask as the spider is nearing 90K and having run the bottom end out of my 155 many years ago I didn't want to repeat the process of pulling the crank out and regrinding when I could just change the big end shells.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
It has been covered before... there seem to be 2 camps:

1) Preventative maintenance is good

2) Don't fix what isn't broken

:lol:

Mine's coming up for 100K, with a cam-belt fail through it (previous owner). I suspect the engine will outlast the bodyshell though :(

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has been covered before... there seem to be 2 camps:

1) Preventative maintenance is good

2) Don't fix what isn't broken

:lol:

Mine's coming up for 100K, with a cam-belt fail through it (previous owner). I suspect the engine will outlast the bodyshell though :(
really. couldn't find anything in the search. I understand don't fix what ain broken but a set of shells for £50 and a few hours of my time is better than A set of shells, a crank regrind or a new crank. and engine strip and flush possibly a block and rod as knowing the mrs as she'd just drive it till it stopped:mad: . Then phone me:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well yes that too but that would. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know. Bought it with no service history at 81K - Done 86k now. Did the belt and oil change at 81K but it has a leak from the crankshaft oil seal which is pretty bad. I would imagine the previous owner wasn't as anal as me about keeping it topped up.

·
Premium Member
45,006 Posts
Don't know. Bought it with no service history at 81K - Done 86k now. Did the belt and oil change at 81K but it has a leak from the crankshaft oil seal which is pretty bad. I would imagine the previous owner wasn't as anal as me about keeping it topped up.
Oil seal at belt end or clutch end?

Might be worth just doing it, if you can do it yourself thats most of the cost already sorted.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil seal at belt end or clutch end?

Might be worth just doing it, if you can do it yourself thats most of the cost already sorted.
I did all the seals bar crank cambelt end. Its the gearbox end. i know I can get the plate and seal for around £25. i would have done it already but in the 8 months the car has been with me I've done. Service,cambelt,variator,new bumper,bumper supports, wishbones, trackrods, drop links, Fixed the windows, airbag light central locking ,boot, thermastat,full exhaust fitted a stereo and changed the centre consol for an undamaged one. Been on my list since the start but just haven't had the time with all that lot plus the 156 and the 155 project :lol: Kinda want some one else to do it for a change.:rolleyes:

add to the cost :rolleyes:
Smart ar5e :p:cool:

D

·
0 Posts
There is a TS engine I know of in Ireland running over 230k miles on the engine with it never having had anything other than oil and filters. No need to change em unless it's knocking imo.

·
Premium Member
45,006 Posts
There is a TS engine I know of in Ireland running over 230k miles on the engine with it never having had anything other than oil and filters. No need to change em unless it's knocking imo.
They won't last forever though, they don't in any engine. Usually most cars are worthless by the time they've covered that many miles anyway so 'run it til it goes bang' usually makes most sense.

D

·
0 Posts
Well if they have lasted that long pud man you may want to start changing them but whats the point in doing it before then. Unless when you have ignored oil servicing and used crap oil I don't see the point. Well there is a 166 also with that many miles and hasn't gone through bearings and doesn't sound like it will need anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
when these things hit twentyish years old the classic thing will kick in and they'll start going up.. regardless of mileage.
once bought an E type for 500 quid, dont ask me what I sold it for.. it makes me cry..

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when these things hit twentyish years old the classic thing will kick in and they'll start going up.. regardless of mileage.
once bought an E type for 500 quid, dont ask me what I sold it for.. it makes me cry..
Don't worry my dad did the same. He still complains about it too. I do understand the run it till it goes bang but its hard enough paying for 1 alfa letr alone covering the cost of 3 ATM:(

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mate and I did a snapped cambelt failure a while back, put new big end shells in as didn't want it knocking in a few thou and the oil pressure is way back up the scale!! The shells that came out were worn quite badly!
Was a two owner car with 86k on clock!
Just do it for your own peace of mind Joss!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
new year rebuild here I come. Can do that crankshaft oil seal at the same time.. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts