Alfa Romeo Forum banner

When GTVs and Spiders become collectable

11K views 58 replies 32 participants last post by  Phase3dude 
#1 ·
in a few years

Which ones are going to be the most desirable and most expensive? Or will it all be about condition?

Personally don't think the Phase 3's will be as sought after as the 1 and 2s

Much like good condition Mark 1 VW Golf gtis are the pricey ones now

#3 ·
Cups, phase 2 TS and V6's and late phase 3 3.2 V6's with low miles :thumbs:

#8 ·
there's probably only a handfull of P1 V6s on the road with less than 80k miles on the road now.
I don't think the changes between P1 and P2 aren't in any way comparable to Mk1 and Mk2 Golfs imo. - I think most would go for P2 GTVs. But sadly, I doubt the prices for any will be very much, despite the gorgeous design.

#9 ·
Is a particular colour more collectable than others?

I notice Red/tan leather combo GTV's don't hang around to long on the classifieds.
Good condition Blacks move.

What other colours are available:
Vela Blue, Nuvola Blue, Wine, Green, Grey and of course Silver.

#10 ·
I think any excellent condition Phase 2 3.0 V6 will be worth the most.

Look at 1970's Giulia's, the 1600's worth less than a 1750 or 2000.

The mk1's are worth more than the mk2's but mostly due to the step front.

Whilst a phase 2 Alfa GTV has all the benefits of a phase 1 but with a nicer dash.

Spider's would be popular as well (V6)

#18 ·
Nuvola blue would be my choice of colour, sounds like it could be the one you're describing. Changes colour with the sunlight and also appears to change colour dependant on where you're viewing it from. Drove a v6 GTV just after they came out, pretty sure the salesman said the colour was an eye watering £1500 to £2000 supplement though.

#20 ·
Prices right now are rock bottom.

Lots of people with problems with their GTV trying to offload them before they become too obvious IMO. Also many of the people attracted to the GTV at the current bargain prices won't be able to afford to maintain or repair them so they'll die and be scrapped or bought by enthuisiasts and restored.

Give it a year or two and all you'll see driving around are the best maintained models and at that point you'll start to see the prices rise.
My V6 was recently described by my motor electrician as an 'enthuisiasts only' car. Once that truly is the case, the V6 and Cup models will start to be highly collectable. I don't think the colour will matter a jot, so long as it's in 'tip-top' condition.

#21 ·
Prices right now are rock bottom.

Give it a year or two and all you'll see driving around are the best maintained models and at that point you'll start to see the prices rise.
Sadly, it's gonna take far longer than a couple of years imo. What was the last Alfa to actually start to increase in value and how long was it before that happened? Old GTVs are the only ones I can think of and they are 20+ years old. Any others?

Certainly not 164s, 155s, 33s but maybe high spec 75s?

Good Suds have risen sharply but they are essentially up to 30 years old

#22 ·
I think the V6s will have a chance of improving with potential lack of new powerfull n/a engines looming + lower taxes.
I don't know this for a fact, but I think there were about 1500 GTVs total sold in the UK, and by now many must have been smashed, or be ageing badly. So perhaps only 200 left with 50k or less miles, in a year maybe less than 100...

#23 ·
I parked next to a White one with Red leather today - so there are white ones as well.

I know here in Aus GTV6s are starting to climb, and 164 Qs command respectable prices.

We had no cars sold here from '92-'98 so I think the first of the "modern" Alfas sold here will probably do well (GTV and Spider twinsparks). I still think that from the exterior the Phase 1s look the best, although the P2 interior was a fairly large improvement.

#25 ·
Aye! The Phase 2 is altogether nicer than a Phase 1. It's one of the few cars where the facelift improved the original design.

v6 and Cup will be more sought after, so that means that a good 2.0ltr Lusso (leather) will also get a look in, value wise... They'll just be rarer than the 3.0ltrs eventually.

Ralf S.

G
#26 ·
Cars that become popular and sought after when they are old were usually popular and sought after when new. Sadly most Alfas fall into neither category outside Alfa circles. The golden rule that rarity doesn't impart value also applies. I don't expect any of the currently common Alfas to become collectable cars. :(

#27 ·
For what its worth (subjctive and all that!) - the P2's look that bit nicer so will be more desirable:

colour coded sills, lower bumper sections - none of the boring black that screams "I'm a base model car" (even though its not)

alloy designs look much more interesting/ classier

centre console - that silvery effect brightens the cabin and lifts the otherwise austere black black and more black. Althougjh if they'd used some aluminium instead of plastic it would be so much better still.

front grille has a tiny smidgen of chrome - just lifts it and looks a bit classier.

I think the 3 spoke wheel is much nicer too....

#28 ·
Have things changed? Still plenty of very cheap twin sparks but V6s seem to rising in price.

I still believe the phase ones are going to be the most desirable in a few years in whatever guise

#29 ·
Asking prices have increased .......selling prices are a different matter though. Everybody appears to be jumping on the massive increase in classic car prices for Exotica with Russians and China paying record prices for Ferrari et al. I don't see it in the 916 yet! but give it 10 more years.

#33 ·
Answering the question;

The when's?. In five years the price will increase a wee amount because as has already been said only the good ones will be around. In ten years I think they'll be quite an investment, all the people who grew up with them around will be around 50 with a bit more cash in the bank.

As for the what's? Ph2 are the best model, centre console in ph1 a tad cheap looking and the ph3 front end looks like a bad mod and not true to the design. Cups no doubt top of the pile, v6 will no doubt be the engine for the car nuts due to the cc and chrome. Colours, could be any really. Would really love a Zoe yellow v6 spider to sit next to my cup but need more funds for a mint one and a double garage. Trying to track down a Zoe spider 2l though and use it as a run around that I bring to a1 condition over time...again, deeper pockets are needed as the only ones I see are after top money...but if any of you have one, do let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.