Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Four years later thread bounce!

So are we agreed prices are on the up now? Cups and V6s still thousands more than the TS but even the TS (a very well sorted and original one of course) is now nudging £2500 as far as I can see?

i am still absolutely convinced that Phase 1s are the most desirable of the TS though. The wheels on the phase two look very very dated to me now and I’m not a fan of the silver dash console either. I am happy to be flamed as a Phase 1 owner though!

What think you? The car market is not great at the moment but if and when it comes back GTVs and especially Spiders (imo) will rise at a much quicker rate. I don’t even recall the last time I saw a GTV on the road although I have seen quite a few spiders.

·
Registered
231 Posts
How much is a 60k miles p3 3.2 worth now and I can compare that with the price I paid when I bought it 9 years ago. 1 previous owner, in top condition. Your guesstimate please... I can then forecast its future potential value?

·
Registered
7,453 Posts

So are we agreed prices are on the up now? Cups and V6s still thousands more than the TS but even the TS (a very well sorted and original one of course) is now nudging £2500 as far as I can see?

i am still absolutely convinced that Phase 1s are the most desirable of the TS though. The wheels on the phase two look very very dated to me now and I’m not a fan of the silver dash console either. I am happy to be flamed as a Phase 1 owner though!

What think you? The car market is not great at the moment but if and when it comes back GTVs and especially Spiders (imo) will rise at a much quicker rate. I don’t even recall the last time I saw a GTV on the road although I have seen quite a few spiders.
Agree the early Phase 1 the best of the TS, but then I have one. Good condition with lots of history, ideally garaged, official Zender accessories from the catalogue all help prices and the only way is up.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Gratuitous post of my stripped and repainted console, the guy who did it told me he would not do it if I wanted silver or red or any other colour other than black. £130 fitted has hopefully added at least that to the value of the car ;)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

I think that pH1 cars will be the rarest for sure - we have seen the prices of nice PH2 cars nudge higher than anything else but that is because we are not yet in the "valuable" collecters phase. In another 5years, the PH2's will mostly have stellar miles on them and the curated PH1's will be much rarer and become sought after. I hope so anyway, 'cos I've got a PH1 V6!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I find the 916 a very rare sight in NE England and North Yorkshire. Aside from mine I've only seen two (yes only two!) all year.

Of those two one was an Alfa red ph 1 spider with tan leather. On it's original rims. If I had somewhere to keep it I'd have been twisting the owners arm to sell it to me. Although it was a bit used (well it is 23!) it looked classy. The ph 1 has definitely aged well.

The other car I saw was a mechanically very poorly ph 2 gtv in silver with the Cup body work. It was in at my trusty garage when my Cup went for its yearly check up. In silver the lower bumper and sills make the car look too chunky. Like a girl that's had a boob job and gone way over the top. The Cup kit I can live with on a red car or black. Or the deep blue, but that's it for me.

My Cup is now in hibernation for it's twelfth winter in my care. I was offered a lot of money for it by a collector, but it ain't going anywhere 'til I'm wearing a wooden overcoat!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think that a PH2 V6 GTV with factory aero kit and obligatory tele dial wheels will more than hold it's own; I also think it is prettier with the added styling touches but keeps the original design brief unlike the PH3. Cup's are not worth the premium and many are various shades of pink.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The original design was for the alfa bonnet shield to dissect the bumper line as in the phase 3. It was fiat management who wanted the smaller beak shield to conform with the rest of the then current alfa range. Ref Enrico Fumia

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm not sure of that, Fumia seems to have had no role in the Phase 3 design this was Pininfarina themselves and was an attempt to bring the GTV into line with their other offerings with the newer coporate front end; also the original drawings by Fumia here http://www.bozhdynsky.com/alfa-romeo-gtv-spider-history/design/ show the smaller alfa grille. Be interested to see some of the other design briefs and concepts I know there was the 'Proteo'.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's very interesting... That's what he says in recent interview, maybe he refers to other early sketches he did. I have noticed that many previous Alfas did have the larger bonnet shield dissecting the bumper so maybe the phase 3 "drop nose" does reference other classic Alfa designs. I though Mr Fumia was a Pininfarina designer? The 916 enigma continues..... 😎

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I knew the GTV won car of the year but I didn’t know it won The World’s Most Beautiful Automobile Award too! I do remember being mesmerised by the first one I saw in the flesh though, so I do get why it would have won.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I have a copy of this publication from nearly 25 years ago which shows many of the developmental studies. Close inspection shows how the shield evolved from a split (top right in image 4) to a unitary design. It does mention how Fiat did get involved with changes but doesn't anything about it being more like being the phase 3 type initially.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a copy of this publication from nearly 25 years ago which shows many of the developmental studies. Close inspection shows how the shield evolved from a split (top right in image 4) to a unitary design. It does mention how Fiat did get involved with changes but doesn't anything about it being more like being the phase 3 type initially.
This is very interesting. Thank you for sharing your pictures and thoughts. In the recent modern classics interview with Mr Fumia there is a sketch of a gtv / spider with a much larger grill which does hint at the larger phase 3 grill.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I knew the GTV won car of the year but I didn’t know it won The World’s Most Beautiful Automobile Award too! I do remember being mesmerised by the first one I saw in the flesh though, so I do get why it would have won.
Yes I can believe it was voted most beautiful because like you when I first saw one in a showroom I too was completely memorised by it. Well to be honest I still am. The 916 is eyewateringly beautiful and timeless...

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Yes I can believe it was voted most beautiful because like you when I first saw one in a showroom I too was completely memorised by it. Well to be honest I still am. The 916 is eyewateringly beautiful and timeless...
I bought my GTV new after a mate gave me a lift in his for less than half a mile. That was enough for my piggy bank to get the good news and place an order. 135k later and I’m still waiting for the day when I stop enjoying owning it and driving it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought my GTV new after a mate gave me a lift in his for less than half a mile. That was enough for my piggy bank to get the good news and place an order. 135k later and I’m still waiting for the day when I stop enjoying owning it and driving it.
I couldn't afford it, I think dealer wanted £31k. Later I had 146 and then 156 then BMW coupe but I still wanted a gtv.... Oh before then I had an alfasud ti green cloverleaf... Finally I got a p3 3.2 in 2009. I cant stop looking at her and everytime I drive her after about 5 minutes I have a massive grin on my face.....

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I couldn't afford it, I think dealer wanted £31k. Later I had 146 and then 156 then BMW coupe but I still wanted a gtv.... Oh before then I had an alfasud ti green cloverleaf... Finally I got a p3 3.2 in 2009. I cant stop looking at her and everytime I drive her after about 5 minutes I have a massive grin on my face.....
I was lucky as I was stationed in Germany at the time and it was tax free plus 25% NATO discount so it worked out at about £12.5k and I had just got back from a tour somewhere and had a good few months wages in the bank.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The thing is that there is an enigmatic magic to the 916. It is the only car I have driven that possesses this energy. The alfasud had something similar going on too but not as much as the 916.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts