Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment all i seem to be doing is spend spend spend on my Alfa :(
It is due an MOT so I thought I best address some 'issues' and get the car checked out.
So far I have spent:
£320 on 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres
£200 on 2 upper wishbones at the front

The car is Alexanders now getting:
Indicator relay fixed - couldn't do myself as clockswitch and steering wheel needed removing
Xenon light (offside) needs looking at as I think ballast has blown. £151.76 +VAT and fitting :( - Update - headlight is goosed and need a new one £650 :cry: :cry:
Nearside lower wishbone also needs replacing. Alexanders quoted £376 all in :wow: My Indie garage quoted £176 all in :confused:

If this cost continues I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my Alfa - I can't keep up with this!! :( :(

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
The trouble is, you may sell it and the next car you buy may also need money spending on it.

I know that quite a lot of people sell their car because it needs money spending.

I say stick with it, at least when you ahve finished it will be well sorted for the next few years.

BTW £200 for upper wishbones is expensive.

They are pretty easy to fit and you can buy them for around £25-30 each if you shop around.
Maybe Alexanders are making more from you than they need to.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Cars in general, mate, not just Alfas....

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The £200 was for 2 fitted. I am afraid that I sin't too hot with a spanner :(
The main problem i have now is the xenon headlight that needs replacing. £650 for a full new unit is just taking the ****!!! Options are 1) pay the £650, 2) buy 2 HID units to replace the xenons or 3) take the headlight to an auto electrician and hope they can sort it.

Its all looking a bit bleak . . .

And yes you are both right - all cars are money pits. Its just Alfa's seem to cost more to fix than others :(

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Could you not replace the Xenon headlights with a pair of standard units?

Maybe you could sell the working Xenon light on eBay to help pay for the other stuff.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
A buddy yesterday took morning off to get some tyres for his Porsche 911, €880 for the tyres alone, got a friend to fit them for him...
At least your 156 shouldnt be squeaking with the new upper wishbones.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
All cars use tyres and suspension components. You just need to shop around and make sure they are supplied and fitted for the best price possible.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
When does the spending stop?

When the money runs out I guess...

·
Registered
3,336 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
This is the way of the alfa owner i'm affraid. If you are not to handy with a spanner then get one of those CD roms of ebay for the 156. They usually have the proper factory manual in PDF format so you can read how to do most jobs. There usually only about 2 quid and they can be bloody useful at times. Plus everyone here can help. Someone will always know how a certain part will come off and the best way to do it. All you got to do is ask! :)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Sorry, BigRed, wasn't laughing at your predicament.

I do feel that the Alfas haven't cost me any more than other cars I have owned previously. As has been said, there are lots of people on here willing to give advice and help -- keep at it, they're worth it after all! And I've never said that about any other cars I've owned before.... :lol:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
You cant moan at the Alfa for tyres, all cars use tyres!!

Again, Xenons are great until they blow, expensive on all cars.

Suspension parts? Yep, they wear out on all cars.

Doesn't matter what you are driving you could have all these isues. Just rotten luck you have had them all at once.

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
How come you can buy HID kits on ebay for under £50 yet Alfa charge £650 for just a headlight?

Someone is making money somewhere... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The HID is just a bulb and a ballast I believe. The bulb itself should then fir into the previous holes for the previous lights - I believe.
The £650 gets you the whole light cluster/pod thing. So thats indicator, full beam, side light and of course the xenon. Oh and a HUGE chunk of plastic and all the wiring.
Xenon bulbs alone cost £70 (cheapest I ever found for DS2 35w).
But yes your right - still over priced.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Do you buy an older car and spend money on it, or a new one, suffering depreciation ?? :(

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
You need to find an independant garage. You will be paying main dealer prices of £80 odd per hour. My last service on my GTA was around £110 from the bloke I use in Middlesbrough

1 - 20 of 33 Posts