Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question as above really.

I thought fully comp always covered me TP in someone else's car, so long as I was driving it with their permission and it was insured by them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
think it depends on the insurance company, ive got TP, F & T with tesco and im insured TP in any other car with the usual conditions

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
some companies have taken this away, it is not a guaranteed thing these days.....

Mine gives me TP cover, but not cars that are subject to HP or lease agreements

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My point exactly! I didn't know it had changed but a good friend of mine has just discovered that he wasn't insured.....and a bit too late!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does depend on the company, I am with admiral and it is included. Previously I was with Privilege and it wasn't included.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im insured by Swiftcover and it says on the the policy "the policy holder may also drive any other vehicle not owned by them and not hired to them under a hire purchase agreement and with the owners permission"

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep Ray - that's what mine says as well. But check this out....

Section 2 ' Driving other cars', may be excluded from this policy. If included, this section will not
apply when the other car is not insured in its own right. Other restrictions may apply in addition,
please refer to your insurance adviser / policy booklet for confirmation of cover.
Taken from 'Chaucer Insurance Policy Summary Private Car – Auto Marque Version date: 01/09/07'

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep Ray - that's what mine says as well. But check this out....

Taken from 'Chaucer Insurance Policy Summary Private Car – Auto Marque Version date: 01/09/07'
Ah I get you now, this is not a new thing, the car must already be Insured by its owner (or keeper) before your insurance will allow you to drive it :thumbs:

·
AO Traders
593 Posts
It is all dependent on the Insurer you are with and their Terms and Condition for this Addition to be included.

When you are obtaining / Paying for your Quote then they should be telling you if this is included in your Policy.

Dan.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It also depends on your age. When i passed my test at 17 i could drive my dads bmw TP. However, the rules changed, and now you have to be over 25 to drive another car. So I have another year left until I can even drive my G/F's Ka. Crazy. I think they think under 25's are a risk also its to try and stop 17 year olds buying a crappy fiesta and insuring it, then buying a fast car, but put it in their dad's name and drive it TP. This is what a lot of my friends did , whilst i pottered around in a 1.2 clio.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you are obtaining / Paying for your Quote then they should be telling you if this is included in your Policy
I don't think I've ever been told by any company if this is included. I always thought if something changes half way through a policy it's the responsibility of the company to tell the driver but if T&Cs change at renewal it's down to the driver to check the small print

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i am with swiftcover and have tpf&t insurance, it also covers me tp on any car not owned by me provided is is insured by its owner,

i used to be with quinn direct tpf&t and that policy covered me to drive any car tp with owners consent even if there was no insurance policy on the car

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is all dependent on the Insurer you are with and their Terms and Condition for this Addition to be included.

When you are obtaining / Paying for your Quote then they should be telling you if this is included in your Policy.

Dan.
Really? The friend I'm referring to had no idea that this was the case until after the bump and his insurance was arranged by Adrian Flux.

·
AO Traders
593 Posts
Really? The friend I'm referring to had no idea that this was the case until after the bump and his insurance was arranged by Adrian Flux.
Hi ya

Yes this is something that is stated in the terms of the policy when the quote is given so that should of been made aware if was included or excluded, when given the terms of the policy.

Dan

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Dan.

And what if he wasn't made aware of this? Are you meaning perhaps that he would have had to make himself aware - or is this something someone such as yourself would make sure he was aware of?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts