Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above.

Is this indicative of a gearbox on the way out, one that needs more oil in the box or the clutch is going and needs replacing?

When I say hard to get into gear I mean literally won't go in unless engine is off - it will grind if I try to push it into gear. If I start in gear with clutch depressed and then start driving in 1st, I can start driving and away it goes and generally its fine.

Haven't changed the oil yet which I guess is the 1st port of call but what is the likely story here? :)

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
This is and I'd do it for free if it wasn't, A failed clutch slave or master cylinder, check the brake fluid level and have a look under the car at the engine/gearbox join and look for a puddle forming on the floor. If the box is wet and the level is down then it's the slave.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sounds like the clutch plate is sticking. Before starting pump the clutch pedal acouple of times, if that cures it it's probably a fluid issue (as above) if it doesn't make any difference do your first start of the day in first clutch down brake on if it jumps and then clears it's probably binding and could be it's got contaminated by oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts