Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Should we have an election when Blair goes?

• Yes we should

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • No we shouldn't

Votes: 12 41.4%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Tony Blair finally packs the job as PM in should we have a general election.
I think it is not very democratic that we have a PM that is not directly elected by the People.

N

·
0 Posts
No, because you live in the UK and not the USA.

I know it is sometimes confusing, but there-you-go...

:)

N

·
0 Posts
The Prime Minister is not an elected post.

It goes to the leader of the ruling party once
the Queen has invited him to form a government.

I didn't get to vote out that sop Major the minute
Thatcher got knifed in the back!

I just don't like the way some media try and force
through constitutional changes by mob rule!

:mad:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I agree in this case. Things have changed, Brown can now apply for the job in Scotland.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Surely it was 'New Labour' who've made half a hatchet-job on the Lords, part of thier manifesto pledged to the mob!

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
If New New Labour (as opposed to Old New Labour.. maybe it's time for New Old Labour..?) are as touchy-feely as they say then they should have an election when Bacon Blair gets his snout out of the trough... We may not want to let Porker Brown straight into the vacated Bung Seat.

I think the constitutional point is valid.. We don't HAVE to have an election.. but you may say that some voters voted Labour because they liked Blair. They may have voted differently if the party was run by Brown.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
What Nev said but, I voted yes as I think they've been in too long and are getting too complacent !! :mad:

Then again there's not to choose between the paries nwadays is there !!?? :(

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
To be honest I think we should - however there is several precidents whereby an election wasn't called e.g., when Major took over from Thatcher, and when Calahan (sp?) took over from Wilson, so I voted 'No'

·
Registered
7,188 Posts

It goes to the leader of the ruling party once
the Queen has invited him to form a government.

I didn't get to vote out that sop Major the minute
Thatcher got knifed in the back!

Valid point. Well made.

But I still voted Yes. :D

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
No is the option we shall get cos that, as has already been pointed out, is the way it works.

Yes may seem like a nice choice but I really don't think that would make much difference either.

All the parties are so entrenched in fighting for the centre ground that it really makes no odds as to who has the helm. Unless we really have become interested purely in personality in which case you'd HAVE to vote yes in this poll.

But then, should we be having a general election simply because we don't want a scotsman who takes phenomenally huge breaths between sentences, running the UK? And what choice would we then have? A fop from Eton or an even older scotsman?

We have all been dis-enfranchised folks.

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
What would be the point?

This is the goverment that is tough on crime and the causes of crime....

Would fix the NHS

Would come down on Sleaze.....

Education Education Education......

Lets face it those of us that voted Labour were/are suckers....

Chris

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
All right, I've 'got off the pot' but I think the labour party or the Labour Party or New Labour or whatever the actual body is should have a leadership election NO QUESTION, to confirm the next leaders mandate.

V

·
0 Posts
The reason Labour have been sh*te is that they have been Tories by another name. There is precious little difference between the 2 parties, or indeed the behaviour of the members of those parties. Snouts in the trough and Teflon underpants. Am I sick to the back teeth of it or what?

V

·
0 Posts
PS as Nev says, there is no constitutional reason to have an election and in any case, Brown is in Murdoch's pocket, the same as Blair. The changeover will be seamless.

M

·
0 Posts
yes there should be a general election, just because it has happened before does not make it right...i know in this country we vote for the political party but i defy anyone who says the leader is not an important part in your decision making....case in point is Michael Foot...a truely great politician who had a very poor public image and therefore never voted in as prime minister....the conservatives will get in next time which in the main will be down to Camerons image, young, dynamic etc...not many people will know faces and names of his shadow cabinet or even read their manifesto in any great detail...therefore i for one will not be happy if Brown takes over, i was one of the dumb smucks who voted them in, but voted in with Blair at the helm, NOT BROWN!! and also ask the question why they wouldn't want a general election, surely whoever is going to take over would want to be in power with backing from the country ?...

E

·
0 Posts
Why do we need a prime minsister??? why don't Labour just replace Blair with Sooty, at least then Bush can really stick his hand up our PM's backside and manipulate him.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts