Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a problem on my car: I am running 10mm spacers front and rear. The wheels are 8j x 18" ET35. The teledial rims were 8j x 17" ET30. Tires are 225/40/18 and previously were 225/45/17 so the width is the same.

Here comes my question:
ET35 means the wheel centerline is 5mm more inward than ET30. So with a 10mm spacer, the wheel is only 4mm more outward than before, now why am I getting the wheels rubbing towards the rear of the wheel arch, where the bumper and fender meet? Not all the time but only when going fast through a bump or when cornering hard.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
What was the biggest OEM size on the GTV? Weren't the 225/45R17 tires already a little bit "oversized"? Standard was 205/45R17 or 215/45R17, no?

Are the 18 inch tyres new, while the previous 17 inch tyres were old?

If it was a change from worn tyres to new, also slightly bigger tyres, the increase in diameter would be aggravated by the extra 5mm or so of tread on both sides, leading to a diameter increase of more than 10mm.

Coupled with the lowering could have just pushed you over the edge.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 possible solutions:
1. Remove rear spacers and replace with 5mm... :paperbag:
2. Stiffen rear suspension right up so the wheels don't travel that last 20mm before touching the fender :yes:

To counter bumsteer, gonna need to stiffen the front as well then... :devious:

·
Registered
454 Posts
remove the spacers.

car wont look like an RC car then and will tuck neatly.

or get rubber bump stops and fit them to the rear springs

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crispy. There is a reason for the spacers. The front wheels don't clear the calipers. That is a common issue with non-oem wheels on the GTV. And the rear wheels won't clear the shock turret. On the GTV the rear wheels follow a 3d arc upwards, inwards and turn inwards when under compression. When they do this with aftermarket wheels then they rub on the suspension bits. Also, it is one of the few cars where the rear wheels sit wider than the fronts. The rear track is wider in other words. It should stay that way for stability.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Ian, rear without spacers might work. Or you can buy a cheap set of 5/6mm spacers from Midas.

Reactions: Jaco14

·
Registered
596 Posts
I agree, get 5mm spacers and get it to work. Then you can buy fancy spacers if need be.

Do not fix by limiting travel :paranoid:

Reactions: ArthurB

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Ian...I have rubbing on my GQV at the rear, to find out that the rubbing is against a fender liner(the carpet Alfa chooses to use) bolt. I simply removed that bolt and made sure the others were tighter and the carpet does not hand...boom...excessive rubbing(sounds kinky) solved.

Have a look under the arch and see exactly where the rubbing happens. Else, just get 215 tyres for the rear, on the 916 forum(missing that place which leads to missing my GTV) the guys run 19" wheels with spacers, maybe ask there.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lance the rubbing is because:
1. The car is lowered lots, leading to slight toe-in which sets the rear of the wheel more outward.
2. The mating flange between the bumper and fender. Can't cut it, unscrew it or roll it.

I offered to buy anodised aluminium billet spacers but the supplier never got back to me so now I will be buying Eibach spacers.

I will aslo not go to 215/18 wheels. I need all the grip I can get! :smoker:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I am going to have fully customised spacers made up for these specific wheels to get the best out of them. 7mm with an inner hub bore of 58.1mm and outer hub bore of 73.1mm. That would mean that I would need wheel bolts around 7mm longer. What is the standard bolt length on a GTV? And what is the standard thread depth on the bolt?

Lance what is that place called that makes spacers?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did contact them. Got me aluminium hubcentric spacers for R975 all up.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Do what I did.
Take the grinder and trim the panel that touch the wheel

1 - 20 of 27 Posts