Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got a Mito QV on the 18 inch qv wheels.
If I drive a tad quickly round a tight bend or a roundabout I get a rubbing sound, I get it from whichever wheel is on the outside of the corner.
It's only when I'm going fast I get this noise. If I'm driving normally or even full lock when parking for example it's fine.

Anyone else have this issue, is it normal?

I noticed if I turn the wheel full lock, get out of the car and have a look I have barely 10mm between the tyres and the inside of the wheel arch, barely enough to get my fingers between.
I'm wondering if I'm cornering with speed and the suspension on that side is under load it's just enough for it to touch. Has to be quite a tight bend for it to do it on. My car is not lowered or anything (unless the first owner did it I'm not sure!)

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Administrator
87,619 Posts
Is it fitted with the correct size tyres & I'm guess there aren't any spacers fitted ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No spacers fitted and yeah I guess correct size. The dealership put new tyres on before I brought it, wouldn't have thought them to be wrong.
Damn was hoping lots of qv owners would have commented saying it's normal. Might have to pay a visit to the dealer while it's still in warranty.

·
Administrator
87,619 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for such a delay in replying I've been on shift all weekend.
My tyres are 215/40 ZR18 89y

Does that sound about right to you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The tyres are OK... I had similar issue... Check if your front brake discs are rusty around the edge? Like rust is about 2-3 milimeters higher than area in contact with pads? If yes, try to refurbish the discs...

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
It's more likely to be the tyres rubbing.

What is the offset of the wheels? If they have a smaller offset than standard, then they'll be sticking "out" more and are more likely to rub.

If the tyre is rubbing on the plastic wheel arch liner.. you should be able to see marks in the liner where the tyre is touching it. It's not a *huge* problem. As the tyre wears it becomes smaller, so it's less likely to touch.

If you can see where it's touching the liner, you can try heating the liner up *hot* with a hair-dryer and pressing the area in using the head of a hammer or screwdiver... i.e re-form it a few millimetres to give you a bit extra clearance. Don't over-heat the liner or you'll melt it.. :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses, I've had a good look and I can't see anywhere where's it's rubbing on the inside of the arch so my initial guesstimate looks wrong.

There is a 2mm layer of rust on the edge of the discs. So it may well be that. I was reading about another similar thread of here at the moment and someone mentioned a thin metal plate behind the disc. I found it towards the top and bent it back, going to try it out. If that fails will take the wheel off and sand off that rust.

Ralf that's a great idea to move that back. Will try that aswel if above fails. After all there is next to no clearance between the wheel and arches.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you can see where it's touching the liner, you can try heating the liner up *hot* with a hair-dryer and pressing the area in using the head of a hammer or screwdiver... i.e re-form it a few millimetres to give you a bit extra clearance. Don't over-heat the liner or you'll melt it.. :D

I wouldn't do that! It has been said on forum that wheelarch liner is very brittle and is easily broken. If it isn't marked by tyre, bending it won't get you anywhere.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well bending that metal plate didn't fix it so I guess I'm going to have to take the wheels off and sand that bit of rust off. Shouldn't be too big of a job, just time and weather permitting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts