Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time in 22 years' diving, I lightly kerbed two wheels on the 156 today. It's got 147 Collezionne wheels finished in silver over black so not cheap. Have managed to mix a small amount of paint and touch up and they look OK. The pics below were taken before I did this so they do look better now and the affected areas are small. (EDIT: it only allows me to upload one pic for some reason! The other pic shows an area about an inch long bit of minor kerbing).

My Mrs doesn't even know what I'm worried about! However, I'm OCD about my cars and the wheels were 100% perfect! A couple of companies I spoke to will only refurb the entire wheel. Doubt they'll then match the other two. Wondering if a puff-in is possible to each wheel to avoid extra hassle, mismatch and expense otherwise I'll have to poke up with it. They're powder coated. Bloody annoyed!

Any ideas!?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
If it was me, I really wouldn't bother with doing anything to that wheel. Yes, it is kerbed, but it's VERY slight.

I guess it all depends on how obsessive you are.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Agree with the others.

The cost to repair such minimal damage isn't really worth it imo. Even if you are OCD it would suck to pay to get that refurbed and then get another minor scuff in 6 months time and be in the same place. I would wait until they get kerbed/damaged enough to warrant the cost. As you say, most places will only refurb the entire wheel so they can get an even finish etc. so if I was you, I would just accept that the wheel is ever so slightly kerbed and just ignore it until a time when there is more serious damage that warrants the expense.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what you're saying guys. The pic above is the better of the two. The other one has a small kerb mark approx 1 inch long but have sort of coloured it back in. Think I'll probably be the only one who notices it. F-ing annoying though. To make up for it, I clay barred and polished the car so it looks lovely. It's virtually in show condition so really hacked off but, as people say, it could have been a lot worse.

Had they been straight silver, then they would have been easier to puff in. Damn the last owner who spent a fortune getting them done in silver over black! They do look lovely but, if anything happens to them, damn expensive to repair!

Perhaps I should have posted in the rant lounge!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Perhaps I should have posted in the rant lounge!
Not a rant, you clearly have a lower tolerance than most people (definitely me !) when it comes to a damaged wheel - personally I would be delighted if I only had that amount of kerbing

In your place I would touch it in and try and forget about it as taking 1 or 2 wheels for a total repaint is likely to leave them a slightly different finish to the others which would irritate me more than the kerbing.
You could do all 4 or fit the 2 on one side of the car though !
Joe

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Nice job..!

They look great.

I can relate,I have a Blackline and you only have to pass the shadow over them and they kerb..

Just had them refurbed and caught the O/S front very lightly just a day ago. Due new tyres so thought I would order them online and get my wheel refurb boys to fit them and blow in the scratch whilst they are there..:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here in Norway we have companies that spot repairs body damage, wheels etc. They probably have it over there aswell? I've never used it, but I hear that most people are more than satisfied with the work they do.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have found somewhere that will do a smart repair for £50 and say they've done these repairs for years and on this finish. Nice guys. Think I'll give them a go just because I'm the ultimate perfectionist!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
let us know how it turns out
Will do. They were very friendly and sounded very professional on the phone. Gave me a lot of confidence. At the end of the day, the damage is far from major but I want it sorted as the wheels were flawless.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Here in Norway....
Blimey, Norway. No doubt you'd be amazed how often Norway has appeared in debates over the UK EU referendum. How's life there, fancy offering some advice from a nation outside the EU?

Pub

1 - 14 of 14 Posts