Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
due to a recent encounter with a pothole damaging a tyre sidewall i have removed my 17" wolfrace wheels and put on the standard 15" alfa alloys untill i get a replacement tyre (recently put on a set of 225 45 17 pirelli pzero asimetrico tyres which have proved to perform fantasticaly)

while swapping them over i decided to weigh one of each (with tyre) the 17" weighed in at 20kg and the 15" weighed in at 17kg and i can confirm that those 3kg have made a huge difference to the acceleration, with the 15" on it feels much much quicker in a straight line (there is an obvious disadvantage in the corners but only when pushed hard) and it dosent feel as secure at motorway speeds, this has definately left me wanting to find a lighter set of 17" wheels

has anyone got any weights of standard alfa wheels with tyres on? 16" teledials, 17"gta teledials etc? or even some weights on lightweight aftermarket wheels?

E

·
0 Posts
I dont have weights but I was told that wolfrace are the lightest you can get.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I weighed some of my Alfa wheels a while back

17" GTA wheel on its own was 10.4kg and with 225/45 tyre was 19.9kg

17" Selespeed with 215/45 tyre was 21.9kg - I think tyre was rubbishy brand so a bit heavy

The 17" GTV Teledials are supposed to be 11.5kg

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the replies, some useful info there :thumbs:

looks like the oz wheels are the way forward as far as the weight goes

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Ya been looking at Oz alloys lately, especially given how light they are, good brand so i assume they will hold up to bad roads a bit better than cheaper softer alloys. Lighter doesnt mean softer after all.

E

·
0 Posts
Ya been looking at Oz alloys lately, especially given how light they are, good brand so i assume they will hold up to bad roads a bit better than cheaper softer alloys. Lighter doesnt mean softer after all.

You have to get them from the UK, OZ stopped dealing with the Irish trade about a year ago.Any you find here are old stock.I had a nightmare getting rings for the inside of my Titans to fit my GT.But I got it sorted and love my wheels!
I got mine from Gerry Murphy in Ballincollig.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Oz still trade through performancealloys but hoping to get a bit cheaper than what they quoted on the net.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
i can confirm that those 3kg have made a huge difference to the acceleration, with the 15" on it feels much much quicker in a straight line

It’s not only the 3kg difference. Also its distribution. With big rim and low profile tire you have all the metal and rubber located very close to the outer edge of the wheel, with small rim, the metal is closer to the center. And if you imagine rotating flywheel, the more weight on the outer edge accumulates much more energy to rotate and is harder to stop that a wheel with even the same weight, but located close to the centre. The point is that even if the 17" and 15" wheels were the same weight, the 17" would affect the acceleration and braking more that 15"

Regarding the wheel weight, I have 17" GTA teledials for winter and 17" OZ ultraleggera for summer. That is about 4kg difference between the wheels of the same size (17 and 21kg) Boths sets with 215/45 tires. And although the OZ might have some edge at acceleration, I surprisingly find the ride more comfortable on the teledials. But this might have to do with different tires as well (Bridgestone Potenza vs. Nokian WR-G2) and I didn’t have a chance to try them on the same tires. But in the real life I much prefer teledials.

·
Premium Member
7,750 Posts
Regarding the wheel weight, I have 17" GTA teledials for winter and 17" OZ ultraleggera for summer. .
Do you have the 305 or 330 brakes ? Or to put it differently, do the ultraleggera's fit with the 330 discs ?

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Do you have the 305 or 330 brakes ? Or to put it differently, do the ultraleggera's fit with the 330 discs ?
Dont know. I have theese on the TS. On the GTA I have 18" GT multispokes as I have 355mm brakes only 18" can fit. There were 305mm brakes before, so I have no experience with 330mm.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 17" GTV Teledials are supposed to be 11.5kg
They are only supposed to be because they actually weighs 14 kg ;)
I had them changed for 16" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 and what a difference !
7.9 kg each and the acceleration of my Gtv is literally transformed :cool:

Lighter is better :D

Cheers,
Seb.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
They are only supposed to be because they actually weighs 14 kg ;)
I had them changed for 16" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 and what a difference !
7.9 kg each and the acceleration of my Gtv is literally transformed :cool:

Lighter is better :D

Cheers,
Seb.
14kg is a significant difference :eek:

At least I tested the GTA wheels so I know that figure is pretty accurate :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
As an aside the 17's with 205/50x17 on the 159 weigh 24 kg! Not only does this affect acceleration, but also ride and handling.

A good value source of wheels is rarerims. Mainly aimed at the Japanese market, but may fit.

For another car I have Pro-race 1.2, 17 x 8 with 225/45 x 17, weigh 19 kg.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Of interest, which fits a 156 better, 17" x 7" or 17" x 8". Have the eibach prokit springs on, so would be tempted to go for the narrorer alloys in case of any rubbing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts