Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I had original 17" multispoke wheels with 215 45 tyres on my GT and the tyres rubbed away with grooves on the insides. A guy at the local tyre centre said he'd seen another GT like this before. Upon inspection at home, it was clear the tyres were rubbing against the vertical suspension arms (the one with two bends in it, which are supposed to clear the tyres).

Since then, I've fitted some 16" 147 wheels with winter tyres and had the 17" wheels stolen by thieving gypsies.

I have bought some 17" 147 GTA wheels to replace the original multispokes and I'm ready to change the wheels over.

With the 16" wheels fitted there is very little clearance between the tyres and the said arm, although the tyres are only 195 55.

I understand the GTA wheels have a different offset to the original multi spoke wheels and am worried the problem will only be made worse.

I have two questions:

1 Has anyone came across this problem before on the GT. The garage I use said they can see nothing wrong with the suspension and it doesn't bang over bumps.

2 Can anyone recommend spacers to overcome this problem as I think I'm going to have to fit some.

Thanks for reading and I hope it makes sense.

James.

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
The 17" GTA rims are ET35 offset, which is the same as your original 17" GT rims should have been.
There should be no clearance issues at all even with 225/45R17 tyres.

The 16" 147 rims will be around ET40 offset, but should still clear with 205/55R16 tyres.

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance but does a lower ET offset mean the wheel is further away from the hub?
Yes.
Lower number means wheel further out (wider track).

Also, do you know how much clearance there should be between the tyre and the vertical arm as I am worried the new tyres will be damaged when I change the wheels over?
There isn't much clearance as std with ET40 rims, but if you have issues even with ET35 rims then something is not right..

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
I've seen some 5mm shims on Ebay, can you see a problem with using these?
Wheel bolts will be too short plus the fact that you should not need the spacers to prevent tyres rubbing on the suspension!

You weren't running very low tyre pressures were you?

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
33 PSI, think it's about right.
33PSI is only slightly low.

For 215/45R17:

Normal loads= 2.4Bar (35PSI) Front & 2.3Bar (33.5PSI) Rear
Full loads= 2.7Bar (39PSI) Front & 2.6Bar (38PSI) Rear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts