Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow alfa fans! This is my first forum post, so go easy on me! :)

I'm after a little advice regarding wheels and tyres.

My car:
2003 Alfa 147 1.6 TSpark Lusso.
Stock wheels and tyres are 195/60/15.

I have purchased a set of nearly new 16" 6.5J teledials and am looking out for some tyres for them.

Q1. The manual states that the standard setup for 16" is 205/55/16, however it seems to make more sense to put on 205/50/16 instead as this would give me a tyre circumference closest to stock and a smaller effect on the speedo. Am I correct in thinking this?
Q2. I prefer the lower profile look, so if possible, would like to put on 225/45/16 tyres however do not know if the width is too large to fit without modifying the wheel arches or if performance will be significantly degraded. Any thoughts?
Q3. 225/45R16 89Y FALKEN FK452 Total cost fitted is £341.35 - Has anybody used these FK452s on their alfas? are they any good?

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
205/55R16 IS the correct 16" size. for a 147/GT/156.

For some reason 147 use a TINY 15" size.

If for some reason you want wider (although completely pointless on a 1.6...!) you could use 225/50R16.

·
Registered
156 Posts
205/50/16 looks like it would indeed give you a closer circumference to stock - I can't think of any real reason not to use this size if you wanted. 205/55/16s would make your speedo read about 2.7% slower, which isn't really much of a problem (given that your speedo will be already be reading around 3 to 7% fast as a matter of course).

Falken FK452s are very highly regarded and would be a good choice.

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
205/55/16s would make your speedo read about 2.7% slower, which isn't really much of a problem (given that your speedo will be already be reading around 3 to 7% fast as a matter of course).
Especially as the speedo is probably setup to be correct (or closest to correct) with 205/55R16...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for the quick replies.

I think I will go for the 205/50/16s as I prefer the lower profile look and this will give the closest match to the original size.

Ill upload a pic once they are on.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
I think I will go for the 205/50/16s as I prefer the lower profile look and this will give the closest match to the original size.
Ignoring the fact that the original 16" size would have been 205/55R16 ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But if they came with 15"s as standard from the factory, wouldnt the speedo be set up correctly for 15"s in the first place?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, ill go for the 205/55/16s.

Camskill really cheap! £212.60 for 4. Just going to find out how much it costs to have them fitted at local tyre shop.

Anybody ever used event-tyres.co.uk? £ 262.01 for 4 and that includes them coming round and fitting it at my home. Works out at £65.50 per corner.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I don't know which brand of tyres your going for but personally I've always found my local tyre shops to be cheaper than buying of the net and then getting it fitted ...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anybody ever used event-tyres.co.uk? £ 262.01 for 4 and that includes them coming round and fitting it at my home. Works out at £65.50 per corner.
when i lived in manchester i bought a few tyres off event, from their fitting centre; they were always really cheap, and did a decent job. they told me that it was no cheaper than their mobile fitting service, so i think you get good value for money with them.

i was looking myself at their website this week, and they had offers on certain dunlop & goodyear tyres, might be worth a look.

·
Registered
156 Posts
good prices on black circles, but they seem to charge £10 for mobile fitting, whereas with Event, its included in the price. but if you can easily get to a fitting centre black circles is probably worth it.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
good prices on black circles, but they seem to charge £10 for mobile fitting, whereas with Event, its included in the price. but if you can easily get to a fitting centre black circles is probably worth it.
BlackCircles will deliver to your home, so you can get them fitted or to a fitter and you go to them.

Mytyres are the same ... but I use their site to find the local fitters and what prices they are charging -- then buy the tyres from the cheapest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts