Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cars started to make a high pitch squeel from the wheels, not sure exactly what one yet but when u put on the brakes it disappears then comes back when u release brake,

however doesnt do it every journey just some time, is this likely to be a wheel bearing or somethin else??

also whats easiest way to diagnose the correct wheel??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also dont know if this is related but passenger side front wheel has way more brake dust covering alloy than the other 3 wheels

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
It might be linked.

There might be some small impurity embedded in you pad that lightly rubs against the rotor - when you apply brake, the pad presses around the impurity and subdue the scratch sound only to become audible once the pad leaves the rotor. Or there is a scratch / impurity on the rotor that wears the pad down to the metal and is now scratching the metal part of the pad - but that will make an intermittent squeal, squeal, squeal as the wheel turns

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would this be audiable under normal driving??? i e no brake being used?? take it this is why there more brake dust off one wheel than the rest? whats the cure take pads out and clean??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would that explain the squeel? also when u break the niose changes to a diferent kinda squeel then stops after a second, then starts up again after u stop braking.

is there anyway of finding out without taking every wheel off???

like i said it doesnt happen on every journey just most of them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive opened the windows and it aint obvious or id have known what side to check.

any helpful hints here???

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tried that still cant pinpoint it, if it helps when i turn off car and get out there a groan from the drive rear side kinda like a dull squeel, metal rubbing type thing as if it needs oiled if u know what i mean

take it this is related, always assumed this noise was the hand brake

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Hopefully, if it's not too bad, clean up and regrease the sliders. Might be worth taking the pads out and checking how clean the pistons are as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hello

think ive narrwed it to the drivers rear, alloy was really warm to touch and when i spat on the discs the spit just bubbled away.

anyway to grease up sliders?? do i just take wheel and caliper off, push brake pedal to make the piston come out then put some grease there then push piston back in then repeat till it works freely??

any help mush appreciated

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
OK this sounds more like a sticky hand brake cable over calliper, you'll need to raise the back end up, loosen the hand brake off a bit and remove the DS brake cable, try and pull it through the sleeve, if it's stuck then that's the problem and you'd find as the wether get 's colder it'll freeze on in the morning, I'd replace them as a pair though as they tend to go on the opposite side as soon as you replace one, £30 for 2 cables and 1 hours work, your done.

Only other thing though, if the alloys geting hot then the bearing grease is being cooked and that's NOT good news.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok will have a look at the hand brake cable tomorro if iths the bearing grease whats worst case scenario, a new bearing or something worse.

just out of note have u ever not fully put on a hand brake and tried to move the car and u get a groaning sound and the car moves a bit. well thats the noise i get everytime i get out my car so im hoping its the hand brake, gonna start parking it in gear with handbrake off till i get it repaired.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
also stupid as it sound how do u slacken off the handbrake cable?
Remove tha handbrake gaiter and then look along the underside of the lever. Near the base you will see an adjustment nut. Just loosen that off and the cables will slacken.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
just out of note have u ever not fully put on a hand brake and tried to move the car and u get a groaning sound and the car moves a bit. well thats the noise i get everytime i get out my car so im hoping its the hand brake, gonna start parking it in gear with handbrake off till i get it repaired.
Bear in mind the handbrakes on these cars are sh*t. Mine always only just scrapes through the MOT on the handbrake test even though both rear caliper machanisms are working perfectly and the cables all move freely.

If I park on a gradient I have to pull mine on really tight (almost feels like the handbrake is about to rip out of the floor) which means the missus then can't release it as she doesn't have the strength (although maybe that's a good thing :D).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
u mean the handbrake gaiter inside the car, its as simple as that?? duh!!.

once slackened off, and car jacked up, i goto the d/s rear caliper underneath ( inside of wheel ) then just give the handbrake cable a tug right and if it doesnt move then just replace both cables

1 - 20 of 20 Posts