Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, ive just bought some new wheels for my 147 to replace the standars 15" alloys. The new wheels are 17" multispokes from another alfa, possibly from the 156? the tyre sze is 225/45/17...

Basically when fitting on the front they are alot wider than the ones i have taken off and are very close to a bar behind the wheels that comes down in front of spring and shock (not sure what its called) There is probably 5mm maybe abit more between tyre and this bar.

It doesnt seem to get any closer if i rock the car but is just worrying me abit because its very close and dont want it to touch when driving! Do you think i need spacers on them to give me abit more clearance? if so how much do i need to give and will i need to do the rear wheels aswell?

Im dieing to get new wheels on the car so any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers Will

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
What offset are the new wheels and what offset are the old ones? That's the number after the letters "ET" stamped on the wheels somewhere.

If you restore the original offset, then the extra width of the new wheels should be accommodable...

Ralf S.

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
If they are ET40 156/147 wheels, the clearance will be tight with 225/45R17 tyres (the std size was 215/45R17) but many people have run with 225/45R17 with no problems.

FYI, the suspension upright (the "bar" you referred to) moves with the wheel, so the clearance only changes due to tyre flexing, not wheel/car movement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might be blind but i cant find and 'ET' numbers on them? there is few different numbers on the inside of spokes like SL1418 and B412?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for all your help! il probably run them and keep and eye for few days. like i siad they are not touching i was just concerened! Cheers, Will

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Keep the tyre pressure to 2,5 bar and you will have no problem , 5 mm space is enough as David said, the suspension and wheels move simultaneously.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts