Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which size should i get? I'm getting a new set of tires for it but i don't want to change the original alloys, I'm getting low profile but there rather thin so i wanted to bring them out a bit would it help the handling...?

·
Registered
157 Posts
If i'm reading that right your putting lower profile tyres on existing wheels? That in itself is a no-no as far as i can see. it would effectivley lower your car and the gear ratios and change your speedo readings. And why are they thinner than existing?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hello Meandmyalfa156,

If you are intent on keeping the factory alloys ( nothing wrong with that, they're very smart), don't play about with the size of the tyres; you're much better off spending more on some decent boots. Then if you want to fit some spacers, you will feel the benefit of better grip etc. just make sure you buy hub centric spacers, not merely flat plates, and don't even think of reusing the standard length bolts ( unless you are a paid up member of 'EXIT...!') Demon Tweeks supply extra length bolts, unless you buy a spacer set which includes extra long bolts. You may find the steering has a different feel also...to do this properly costs more than you think!
I fitted 10 mm spacers from H&R, but eibach also do a nice range. Both types are TUV certified
Hope that helps
Cheerio
The Captain:thumbs:

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
What size alloys have you got?

Original spec are 15" with 205/50VR15 or 16" with 205/55ZR16 if original 156 wheels.

G

·
0 Posts
Proper spacers with bolts work out about £30+ a corner don't use cheap ones :tut:
As said spend the money on the tyres

M

·
0 Posts
Nothing wrong with bringing them out a tiny bit... Alfa fitted 5mm spacers to widebody 155's, nothing special like hubcenteic as hub still came through them.

5mm all round would sharpen handling a little :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the alloys are 16" tires 205/55ZR16 i was just looking into doing something with them, i like the original alloys so i don't think i want to change them but i would like to change the tire size getting a lower what size should i really be looking at? or would they really make any difference other then the look? i would like to improve the handling and i just thought id take the chance since my tires are in dire need of replacing, thanks for all the reply's they are appreciated.

·
Registered
583 Posts
the alloys are 16" tires 205/55ZR16 i was just looking into doing something with them, i like the original alloys so i don't think i want to change them but i would like to change the tire size getting a lower what size should i really be looking at? or would they really make any difference other then the look? i would like to improve the handling and i just thought id take the chance since my tires are in dire need of replacing, thanks for all the reply's they are appreciated.
As said above DO NOT change the size of the tyre if keeping the original wheel unless its making a 215 fit instead of a 205 but u must keep the profile (therefore diameter) the same. Buy a half decent set of tyres and then pop your spacers on and you should notice a difference but if it a lower car you want buy some sport springs!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the reply's it was really helpful and iv decided to actually get a new set of 17" alfa original alloys and a set of low profile tires for them all in one package instead of doing something stupid like i might of done, ill be picking them up next week.
i was just wondering is there any sites that are good for accessories that ye might know, im looking for anti-theft alfa romeo valve caps for the tires anyone know a good site to get them?
i tried amazon but they wont deliver them to where i am.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hello meandmyalfa156,

eBay is your best bet; just remember that they are renown for seizing...keep em oiled ( the locking nut); If I were you I'd spend the money on filling the tyres with nitrogen...all sorts of benefits, but most important it will extend the life of the tyre.

Are you still going for spacers?

Best of luck

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hello meandmyalfa156,

That's a very difficult question to answer; if you still have standard dampers/ springs then any wider than 10 mm may well give tyre/ wing contact, especially if you are braking or cornering hard and hit a bump...I have 10 mm spacers fitted to give clearance to the longer end of a 6 speed box, but they are mated to original 16" Alfa alloys/ uprated dampers&springs...it definitely looks better (stance/ filled arches) and avoids the slightly ' pinched in ' look the standard set up has... I guess it would be cheaper to go for the 5mm option, but I don't think that will be enough visually for you...any size bigger than 10mm will almost definitely mean wing rubbing.... Not a good thing, you would definitely need to uprate your suspension then and possibly also get the arches rolled. If I were you I would probably stick to 10 mm, possibly 12mm as a maximum. But ( and I know I'm repeating myself!) make sure your wheel bolts are long enough, which ever you choose:thumbs:

Hope that helps
Cheerio
The Captain;)

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
I have 15mm spacers with 205/55R16 on std 16" Selespeed rims.
Just clears the return lip on the rear arch.

10mm spacers will have loads of clearance!! BUT 10mm won't be a safe hub-centric size.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hello David,

Why would 10mm hub centric spacers not be a safe size to use? Are you referring to the amount of thickness of the metal between the flange and hole? I have come across this opinion on another forum, but was not convinced. Would love to know your reasoning/ experience of this.

Thanks
The Captain

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
Are you referring to the amount of thickness of the metal between the flange and hole? I have come across this opinion on another forum, but was not convinced. Would love to know your reasoning/ experience of this.
Exactly that.
Some people have had them crack when torqued up as the recess wasn't deep enough.
If you make the recess deep enough then there isn't any metal left for the spigot to come from.
Obviously they haven't all cracked, but something for you to think about!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hello David,

Thanks, yes, I have been checking them occasionally...of late, my wheels seem to have been on and off like a hookers knickers! Did make sure the ones I went for were TUV certified, tho at least. When I read about this, it did seem a lot of the 'cracked ring' unfortunates (ouch!!!) were also using aftermarket alloys, some with 'wobble' bolts! i mean, jesus, who thought they were a good idea!?! Thanks for the heads up tho, and will continue to monitor carefully. Good to read you can squeeze in 15mm spacers on the factory 16 " wheels and clear the arches. Do you have any difference in the steering feel, compared to standard ?

Thanks
the Captain:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
Good to read you can squeeze in 15mm spacers on the factory 16 " wheels and clear the arches. Do you have any difference in the steering feel, compared to standard?
Steering feel is fine.
Obviously increasing the track by 30mm is a big change and the first corner or two needed adjustment. But you soon recalibrate yourself and all good from then on.

As for the clearance. It is tight. For a while I occasionally got very light paint marks on the bulge of the sidewall but it was the lightest of touches and never any actual damage to the car or tyre.
So it will depend on the make and version of tyre fitted as well as the production tolerances of the car they are fitted to.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hello David,

Many thanks for the information; you can't beat talking to someone who has actually done mods like that, rather than the proverbial 'armchair expert!' One thing I've always liked about the forum is they don't seem too thick on the ground here.:cool:

All the best

1 - 20 of 27 Posts