Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when my car goes to 60 the wheel shakes when braking, the wheel doesny shake any speed under that just above it, what can it be?
is it the brakes?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Could be brakes
could be tyres
could be suspension...

Can't diagnose which over the Internet!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
no problem :)

I had a very strange issue with shaking under braking that turned out to the the wheel bolts being very slightly too long !!
I'd used the bolts supplied with my spacers and they were fine until I changed brake discs, then the shaking started. After changing to slightly shorted bolts (after careful measurement) it was fine again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
when my car goes to 60 the wheel shakes when braking, the wheel doesny shake any speed under that just above it, what can it be?
is it the brakes?
Sounds like front disc problem (distorted). - or maybe pads.

Could get a Kwik-Fit of Formula One type outlet to do a "Free" brake safety check. If it is confirmed then you can go to somewhere you trust to reconfirm and fix it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
yeah sounds like warped discs to me. quite common for standard discs on a v6. they say your supposed to keep your foot off the pedal whenever pos. after braking to prevent warping.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
... they say your supposed to keep your foot off the pedal whenever pos. after braking to prevent warping.
When stationary yes.
That is what the handbrake is there for.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Check to see if a cv boot has split as grease from the joint may have found its way onto the disc. Had this on a friend's Rover 800 once.

·
Registered
435 Posts
It does sound like a warped disc. Re: keeping your foot off the pedal once you've stopped - this is because keeping the pads pressed against the hot disc prevents it from cooling evenly and can lead to warping. My wheel vibrates when braking from (a bit more than) 70...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've had this problem on my old Rover Coupe (and Rover 214). Changing the front discs and pads cured the problem but it would come back after about 9 months. My coupe had a split CV gator so grease was probably getting onto the disc... don't know why this warps them though?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've had this problem on my old Rover Coupe (and Rover 214). Changing the front discs and pads cured the problem but it would come back after about 9 months. My coupe had a split CV gator so grease was probably getting onto the disc... don't know why this warps them though?
If the grease isn't perfectly distributed over the discs's surface, you'll get areas of high and low friction and therefore uneven heating. Uneven heating = uneven expansion and warping.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Have you had your wheels balanced recently? Steering wheel shake could be caused by unbalanced wheels (although this normally happens when traveling at higher speeds rhather than braking fromt them).

It could well be discs but it seems odd that this is speed related and not brake pressure related (i.e. why does it happen when gentle braking at 70 but not hard braking at 50?).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it must be discs but i have to find out for def, while im changing discs is there any othere brands you all recommend and where shall i go for them

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
My guess is suspension. An imbalanaced wheel would vibrate as you pass through a speed range whether accelerating or braking. Warped discs would more likely cause a vibrabtion in the brake pedal rather than a steering issue.

Track rod end and wishbones become tensioned under braking so any wear or play will show up. TRE is my chief suspect of the two.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My guess is suspension. An imbalanaced wheel would vibrate as you pass through a speed range whether accelerating or braking. Warped discs would more likely cause a vibrabtion in the brake pedal rather than a steering issue.

Track rod end and wishbones become tensioned under braking so any wear or play will show up. TRE is my chief suspect of the two.

Ralf S.
Warped discs don't usually cause a vibration in the brake pedal, because the brake pads are moved in opposite directions by the deformity in the disc, resulting in very little change in system pressure. The reason it's always most noticeable in the steering is that when the disc is warped, using the brakes means that the pads will try to force the disc to run straight. The vibration from this is more severe the further you get from the axis of rotation, so it's transmitted into the wheel and from there into the steering, where of course there's a direct mechanical link to your hands.

The reason I know this is that my front n/s caliper seized a little while ago, overheating and warping the disc. After that I suffered the same problem - vibrating steering wheel when braking from motorway speeds. New discs+pads solved it. I can discount the track rod ends as mine are new.

Hope that's helpful

Rob :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
where do i get discs from, is there a brand that i should get while im changing them or put the bog ones back on, how bout pads shall i buy brembo or are the bog ones just as good

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Loads of threads around about improving the GTVs less than impressive braking performance.

Ned at AutoLusso has some performance friction pads he advocates Alfa Romeo Tuning UK - Auto Lusso - Tuning and aftermarket add-ons for your Alfa Romeo

Others recommend Ferodo... I've got those now but am less impressed than the EBC red stuff I had before.

Disc wise I have EBC dimpled and grooved. I got them from Motorsport World - Performance Car Parts but shop around.. I am sure others have differing views on good discs to buy (I am not sure many would recommend OEM though).

Other brake upgades are decent brake fluid. I went for Halfords racing Halfords Racing Brake Fluid DOT 4 500ml from Halfords Price £10.49

but again others will suggest different brands... in fact the only thing you'll probably get any level of agreement on is braided brake lines from Goodridge (and that's probably because there aren't other manufacturers of braided brake lines around).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts