Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody!

I'm looking to downsize the 18" Turbines on my Diesel Giulietta QV line to 17" to reduce weight and tire costs. The car has the optional Brembo 330mm rotors and calipers. I'm wondering what wheels/rims would fit and what would be everyone's recommendations keeping in mind they must be 17", fit over the Brembos, and be very light. I'm in Australia and the options down here seem very limited and very expensive and it's driving me nuts!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I would check the difference in tyre costs 225/40/18 to 225/45/17 as I don't think that there is a massive difference. The wheels will save some weight, oe wheels aren't too heavy, but light wheels are going to be expensive: OZ ultraleggeras come in at over £1000 here. You're cheapest option may be to choose your tyres carefully: Good Year, Pirelli, Dunlop all produce light tyres, Continental, Michelin are a bit heavier, cheaper tyres heavier still. I had a set of 8C Spider 18" wheels with Bridgestone RE002s and they were 10kg per wheel heavier that 18" turbines with Good Year F1a2s. One set of tyres is going to be cheaper than a set of tyres and wheels.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've just put in a order for 17" OZ Alleggerita HLT ($1276) from Tire Rack in the States. Even with shipping it come out to half the price they want down under. The price difference 225/40/18 to 225/45/17 is around $80 per tire which adds up pretty quickly as I seem to go through them pretty quickly :biglaugh:. There is also a much larger range of tires to pick from in the 225/45/17 size down here. I'm also hoping for better performance and diesel consumption rates.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
and more sizes to choose from. I'm running 215/50R17 now, but my winters are 205/50R17, and my next set of performance summers will be 235/45R17...
I was thinking about 235/45R17. They're even cheaper then the 225/45R17.
I would have thought that the 205/50/17 size would give the best fuel economy (narrower, lower rolling resistance, lighter) than the other tyre sizes you mention. Although it does depend upon the individual tyre make & model.

·
Registered
38,692 Posts
Is it not possibe to find someone with a set of 17" Giulietta wheels are tyres who would be prepared to swap?

Personally I think the 225/45 17 is the best compromise between looks are practicality, and because it is a standard Giulietta tyre size you shouldn't have issues with insurance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is it not possibe to find someone with a set of 17" Giulietta wheels are tyres who would be prepared to swap?

Personally I think the 225/45 17 is the best compromise between looks are practicality, and because it is a standard Giulietta tyre size you shouldn't have issues with insurance.
Just bought my 18'' :( and I have my 17'' turbines for sale, p.m. if interested :)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
17s look good. Caliper and disc needs to fill the space behind the wheel or your car looks weak. You have chosen wisely. With the savings made on diesel and tyres I'd drop it an inch now with some lowering springs to look super cool.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, let us know if you experience different behaviour from the car with these lighter wheels
It's like going from heavy steel capped boots to light weight runners. I've lost 4.5kg on each wheel from the OEM 18" turbines. The steering is now much lighter and I have much more control in fast slalom maneuvers. Braking has also improved. It feels as if the whole car is lighter. I can't comment yet on acceleration and mileage as I haven't had a chance to get it on the open highway but I don't think I'm going to be disappointed. I think it was well worth the cost. It may not look as flash as with the 18" turbines but it's got the performance I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
Are you crazy ? who downsizes wheels ?
function over form! Light wheels & tyres improve performance, ride, handling, the lot - especially on a lower powered model. If you ever get the chance drive a 1.4tb on 16" steels & then on 18s - its like having a remap!

·
Registered
38,692 Posts
Less chance of damage from potholes as well, which is a consideration in the UK with our 4th world standard roads.

I can also see that you have Michelin tyres fitted. That is good because the premium manufacturers are making tyres lighter as well these days.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
function over form! Light wheels & tyres improve performance, ride, handling, the lot - especially on a lower powered model. If you ever get the chance drive a 1.4tb on 16" steels & then on 18s - its like having a remap!
Smaller wheels wont improve performance and handling.

Comfort - yes agree with you there

1 - 20 of 29 Posts