Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a simple question on the standered v6 alloys the speedlines with the little bolts all the way round them do they unbolt i know they are not split rims but i want to have mine refurbed and it would be so much easier if they could come out

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They do come out but from previous discussions about this I think they'll be destroyed. You can buy new ones but they cost a stupid amount when you realise how many you need!!

Alternatively try some M6 or so machine screws, they should kinda self tap their way in if you get the correct size.

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thats great thanks for the help i was after some different alloys but no one seems to have any so it looks like mine will be refurbed

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
I am sure they are plastic too, my dad had his 164 wheels re-rurbed and they had to paint them instead of doing it the proper way where they spray up and put in an oven, otherwise the bolts would have melted! :eek: :eek:

Iv got a feeling that a place in Tonbridge, Kent called Spit and Polish will replace the bolts for you, they may be a bit more pricey but at least they will look proper :D
Im not certain on this but maybe worth a call to see if I am talking utter rubbish, I heard it from a guy at Gatwick Alfa.

Jack

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Yep - the little "bolts" are plastic and they're glued in. You can try tugging them out with pliers but if they're like mine, some will snap, or you'll chew the head up.

Drill them out. They have a 6mm shank but if you use a 4 or 5mm drill they come out fairly cleanly. You may have to get the last bit of swarf out with a screwdriver.

5mm hex-head bolts fit nicely in the hole. You'll have to glue or expoxy them in though, unless you really want to tap 20-odd holes per wheel.

If you can get one plastic nut out cleanly, you'll see how long the shank is (about 8mm from memory). Buy yourself some titanium replacements a similar size - don't go for steel as it'll add a kilo of unsprung weight to each corner!

Ralf S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts