Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had news GSD3's fitted to the front of my 17" Supersports. Unfortunately the grease monkey involved has managed to strip the threads on 2 of the bolts nicely omitting to mention it until I heard the bolts drop out later in the day.

Before I go back to them tomorrow what's the damage likely to be - jusging by the fact that one of my spare bolts won't fit then the hub is knackered as well.

Anyone any experience of this so I know what to expect - could really do to be using the car over the next few days.

·
Registered
657 Posts
k3lvc said:
Just had news GSD3's fitted to the front of my 17" Supersports. Unfortunately the grease monkey involved has managed to strip the threads on 2 of the bolts nicely omitting to mention it until I heard the bolts drop out later in the day.

Before I go back to them tomorrow what's the damage likely to be - jusging by the fact that one of my spare bolts won't fit then the hub is knackered as well.

Anyone any experience of this so I know what to expect - could really do to be using the car over the next few days.
I would personally do my homework first. Assess how many wheels, therefore how many hubs you are likely to need. Ensure that local dealer has them in stock - if he does not, then attempt to find out where they can be sourced and also assess if the garage you are at has the skills to replace. If not, then assess local car hire options, and be honest - is there another car in the family or from work you could borrow if needed?

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
sounds bad, i have never had it but a mate had someone do it to him.
The be all and end all is you cant drive it untill fixed and the only way around it is to either have a engineer to re thread it (depending how bad it is) or yes a new hub, which was the case..

I cant quote any price but if it aint your mistake you shouldn't be paying. If the incompatent fool did it and it was a reputable garage hey presto !! THEY PAY.. if not Good Luck.

G

·
Couldn't say with an Alfa with non-original bolts but when I've come across this in the past original type bolts are often made with a slightly softer material so that the hub has a better chance of surviving intact, it's only happened to me once so far.

It sounds like you'll probably need new hubs and bolts as I wouldn't trust the good ones either after having the extra loads imposed on them since it happened.

They'll probably deny it anyway but best of luck.

tom

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They should be original Alfa bolts - it's a 2005 ex Alfa car with 20k and had Supersports from new.

The evidence is fairly damning for them to deny anything but time will tell in the morning - looks like a day of joy in the Honda Stream tomorrow !!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
You might be able to run a Helicoil throuth it. They clean out the old thread, cut a new slightly bigger one then insert a coil in that has the same thread diameter as the original. Much cheaper. Would need to find out if they do that thread size.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
If they have tightened the bolt to the point that it has stripped the threads then I would check all the bolts, both hubs and the alloy wheels too.

Check the alloy wheels around the holes where the bolts go through for cracks or damage.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even better I've now discovered that they've managed to strip one of the 'spare' bolts in the locking wheel nut box - looks like they've had one botched attempt and then tried again.

I'm assuming this is going to due to force used but given the space is it possible that they've just crossed the threads ?

Looks like a trip to someone slightly more competent tomorrow am to check all the remaining bolts/wheels before battle commences. All slightly aggravated by the fact that I'm supposed to be going to Switzerland in the car on Sunday !!

For info a hub is £37 + VAT + 1.5hrs labour per side - ouch !!

Wish me luck

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
This is the worst type of problem to hear about. Those guys out there should be made aware of the safety reasons for applying the correct torque figure! However, I thought by now that the practice of using a pneumatic air wrench, to tighten, had ceased in most places.Fortunately in most cases I take my wheels removed for tyre fittment, making sure I use me trusty beam type torque wrench to apply the correct Ft.Lbs/Nkgs. Total sympathy over this one, good luck! PS Difficult to use air impact on security bolts though? Just a thought.

·
Registered
58 Posts
they are liable for all repairs if they play up say your take to small claims court or contact trading standards for all the work involved i dont know why they do bolts up so tight i could not belive the amount of torque they put on the wheels of our new gt i had to get a 2 foot bar on a t bar to get undone immagine the security bolt if tha was to give out !! i then used a torque wrench to the given spec.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Epic thread resurrection....

Still an issue today, I got some tyres for my commuter car and was flabbergasted to see the independent garage I picked use a torque wrench to tighten the wheel bolts.

In my 20 years of driving I've only ever witnessed morons using impact guns to slam on wheel bolts on as hard as possible...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.