Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I think my front wheel bearing has gone on my GTV V6 but I wanted to check before I replace it.

As I am driving along there is a constant knocking sound coming from the front N/S. IT speeds up as I get faster.

I am also getting a random knocking as I turn the wheel at low speeds.

The thing is, one of the rear bearings went on my twin spark a few months ago and there was a groaning sound coming from it but it's not happening this time which has confused me.

I took the wheel off tonight and spun the front wheel, there is a slight rubbing where the break pad is rubbing against the part of the break disk that had previously been outside the contact area, the movement is sort of left to right.

I did give the car a bit of a thrashing over the weekend over some pretty bumpy roads but I'm sure the noise was there before this only much quieter (ordinarily I wouldn't push my car on bad roads but I was following a friend, and there is no way was I having a BMW 320i leaving me behind!!)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Jack the front up so the wheel is off the ground. Hold the wheel at either side or top and bottom and try to rock the wheel, if there is play in it it could be wheel bearing.

Alternatively it could be a driveshaft

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There doesn't really seem to be any play in the wheel, it just dawned on me it might be the driveshaft.

There was a slight vibration through the steering wheel a couple of weeks ago when you hit about 80/90, is that a symptom??

·
Registered
100 Posts
Was there a vibration through the gearstick too ?

Sounds like a DS to me, if it is and it's bad it could also knacker your wheel bearing if not sorted soon

·
Registered
22 Posts
A simple test find a empty car park turn the steering hard on lock drive the car at slowish speed if the outer cv joint is worn a lound clicking noise from the worn cv will heard. repeat on the opposite side.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried putting it on full lock, wasn't in a carpark so wasn't a great test but I'm pretty sure the CV's are fine.

Yea you can feel the vibration through the gearstick, to be honest you can feel it through the whole car. It feels like driving over the raised lines you get across some motorways / dual carriageways when approaching a roundabout (does that make sense?)

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Wheelbairing.............did just the same as yours...........I would get it checked ours had got stuck and knackered the flange and the hub too....................new part £260.........:wow:
Ours was the front p/side but you could feel it through the gearstick and drivers seat!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're joking......The joys of Alfa ownership eh?!?!

I'm glad you said that though, I was going to just order a new driveshaft. I think I will take the bearing apart tomorrow and have a look to see how it looks. When I changed the one on my ts it was pretty obvious it was knackered when I took it off

.........the plot thickens!!!!:cry:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have another look at everything this weekend. Is there a way to tell if it is the driveshaft for sure?

I'm afraid to order one to find it's not the real problem cos they aren't cheap.

Any ideas on where to get one from if it is the problem?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Take the drive shaft from the centre of the bearing and you can then check if there is any roughness in it. You cant take it apart. Press on the flange as you turn it by hand and feel for any roughness or notchy ness, then gently pull on it and try again. If it does not run perfectly smooth it is U/S. At this point you can also check your driveshaft.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers Andy, The price on there is about half what euro car parts were looking.

166 - thanks for the advice, I'll have a good look at it tomorrow and let you know how I get on

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I have been working late most nights over the last couple of weeks and will be for the forseeable future so I decided I would just take it to a garage and see what they come up with.

They had a look at it and said the driveshaft looks ok. There is a small split in the inner CV joint but nothing serious.

So I'm no further than I was when I noticed the problem. Plan B is to get the wheel off, take off the calipers and see if I can find anything out of place....if I ever get a chance!! lol

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
When mine did that, it was the inner cv boot. Small split, later tore bigger but it can be greased and a new boot fitted. The inner cv is not replaceable so if you have it repaired soon yoi can still save the shaft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a bit curious why to cut it away. Put an extruder in spann and warm it. H8 2 put a grinder close 2 the axle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's easy to replace, just check out the torques... I usually use "handheld" torque (removal torque and little more when ya assemble) Been there and done that (Aircraft technician) first torque about hlf and then full. Still, ya need to have it "in the wrists" find it with a torque handle first ;)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
It might be worth swapping the wheels around to rule damage to wheel out, as you have been over rough roads. I have had a similar noise from front offside wheel (sounded like something rubbing, changed with road speed) and couldn’t find any evidence of bearing play. I swapped the wheels front to rear and the noise has practically disappeared. The little there is is coming from the rear now.
I hit a big pothole a while ago and took a chip off the rim of that noisy wheel, it maybe did a bit more damage too? I have a spare wheel so will get the good tyre switched to that and take the damaged wheel for inspection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My bet is on the drive shafts. Had similar symptoms with mine which vanished once I replaced them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts