Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am just about to change the front wheel bearing as i am sure it has gone, the noise is getting worse, however, it doesent matter how much i rock the wheel up and down, i cannot feel any play in it? and nor does it grummble when i spin it (i guess due to no wieght on it up on jack)
but apart from the rocking trick, is there any other way to tell if its gone?
and i cant feel it getting hot either, even after my 60 km trip to work...
i just know how hard the bugger is to change, and i dont want to change it if its not the bearing?

any ideas?
before i scrape skin from my knuckles :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Drive it. steer left to right progressivly. Long winding road is ideal. The noise should increse or decrease as you load and unload the bearings on each side of the car. If it increase while turning left its the right bearing thats gone and vise versa. Check the rear too as sound can often travel through a vehicle making it sound like its coming from somewhere else

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drive it. steer left to right progressivly. Long winding road is ideal. The noise should increse or decrease as you load and unload the bearings on each side of the car. If it increase while turning left its the right bearing thats gone and vise versa. Check the rear too as sound can often travel through a vehicle making it sound like its coming from somewhere else
i have tried the winding road routine, but it doesent really change the pitch of the groaning...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

will they always be felt by rocking the wheel, or only when they are about to fall off ?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not easy to tell with a roller bearing much easier with a taper bearing , just this week i picked up a mondeo with the tracking out and the tyres were bald on the inside edges the o/s front bearing was humming even after 10 mph in the first instance i changed the tyres (save getting penalty points) and did the tracking.The sound of a noisey wheel bearing disappeared instantly!! Ive also got an alfa spider i changed the two 18 inch front tyres with new pirellis and suddenly it sounds like a front wheel bearing is noisey around the 45mph mark but its the tyres not the bearing.Firstly try changing the tyres around front to rear and get the tracking checked out.May well be the bearing but simple checks to start with may save time and cash.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I bet its your tyres. I have just changed both my front wheel bearings, as there was a horrid noise coming from the front. One was real shot, and the other not great. I am a mechanic, and have checked everything else. I recall a freind a couple of years ago who had the same trouble. He had a 156 and changed both front wheel bearings. Noise was still there. Went for an MOT and had to have two new tyres. Noise gone.

I have spoken to a couple of peeps now about this, and seems to be fairly common.

Try switching your wheels front to back.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Jack the vehicle up securely!! leaving the opposite wheel on the floor and drive the vehicle in third(ie use the engine to spin the wheel) 50 mph is plenty as it is double the speed through one wheel!! Switch off and listen, will def be noisy this way if it's gone or going, compare it to the other side in the same way.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Not easy to tell with a roller bearing much easier with a taper bearing ,
Especially when the car in question is fitted with double row ball bearings in a sealed unit. But from his original decription it actually sounds to me like the CV joints are dry, so before you go to the hassle of changing a servicable bearing, check your CV boots for splits and grease sprays.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Jack the vehicle up securely!! leaving the opposite wheel on the floor and drive the vehicle in third(ie use the engine to spin the wheel) 50 mph is plenty as it is double the speed through one wheel!! Switch off and listen, will def be noisy this way if it's gone or going, compare it to the other side in the same way.
Lol would be fun trying this with a Q2 \ Quaife :cry:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, tried this, and there is silence.....

however the back seams to grumble when spun by hand.....bugger, i have a front wheel bearing that i have had delivered from eb spares all the way to norway and it looks like i need a back one:cry:

the rears look easier to come of tho?
they do not need pressing?

P.S. that was a great tip by the way, but you dident warn me of the car throwing ABS/ESP error messages all over the place as it thought that 1 wheel was stuck and the other spinning, my traction control went mental untill i turned it off :lol::lol::lol::lol::D

·
Registered
640 Posts
That is probably the stupidest thing I've ever read.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, tried this, and there is silence.....

however the back seams to grumble when spun by hand.....bugger, i have a front wheel bearing that i have had delivered from eb spares all the way to norway and it looks like i need a back one:cry:

the rears look easier to come of tho?
they do not need pressing?

P.S. that was a great tip by the way, but you dident warn me of the car throwing ABS/ESP error messages all over the place as it thought that 1 wheel was stuck and the other spinning, my traction control went mental untill i turned it off :lol::lol::lol::lol::D
any ideas if the back is also pressed in?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ooooh people, i am so confused....when i am driving (and when the bearing is hot) i would swear on my dina ling that its the front bearing, however when spun up on jacks it is silence, adn when i spin the back wheel it has a low grumbble, yet the back bearing is only 12 months old, and i cant hear the back when i am driving, just a drone from the front...

even my friendly mechanic down the road was scratching his head...

i wish the bearing would just give up and die so i know what one it was:cry::cry::cry::cry:

i even went to the EU control (MOT CENTRE TO YOU GUYS) and they kindly put it on a rolling road so i could stand out side and listen, but then we still could not tell....

i feel like crying :( :cry::cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ihave the same problem.Sounds like a moaning noise from the back that goes up and down in volume.I had the same on my mercedes saloon, and would have bet my life savings on wheel bearings.Changed the tyres and it went away, shows what i know!

·
Registered
140 Posts
^^ Bot Alert

I had a similar issue on my GT, even a experienced MEchanic when heard it said it was the bearing, changed the front tyres and disapeared. Changed my front shocks last week and had a look for jerky wheels, no issues at all so i blame the tyres!

·
Registered
351 Posts
could it not be the old brake calipers sticking on the sliders causing the noise, mine sounded similar to what you describing took the sliders off cleaned them up, greased the rear of the brake pads, back in, no noise

1 - 20 of 23 Posts